Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Breweries in Asheville NC  (Read 1678 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Breweries in Asheville NC
« on: April 20, 2019, 09:01:45 am »
Ok, headed to Asheville NC next month. There are roughly 20 breweries in the area and I'm only going to be there for 2 nights. I can't hit every single brewery, although I'd love too. So with that being said, I need some recommendations for must visit breweries and restaurants. If anyone in the AHA lives in/near Asheville I would greatly appreciate your opinions!

Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Breweries in Asheville NC
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:58:01 am »
Zebulon is a very small brewery that makes great, unusual beers, many of them historically based.  Other than that, when I was there a few weeks ago, I found the freash SNPA so delicious that I harffly drank anything else.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ncbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 10:24:04 am »
Lots of great places to visit and you have very few that will disappoint. But a place you don't want to miss is Sierra Nevada at Mills River. It is Disneyland for beer geeks. Beautiful campus, and if you will be there on a Thursday register for the Beer Geek tour. I think it is up $40/person now, limited to 6 people, and only on  Thursdays with one in the morning and one in the afternoon. You get an (empty) 32oz Growler, tee shirt and if you are willing to drink it they will serve $40 worth of beer on the tour ending with samples of whatever is in the barrel room. It is near the Asheville airport so without a car it is a pricey Uber but worth the trip. Registration opens for each month two months before and afternoon tours fill fast, check the SN website for current details. 

Other than that, in no particular order of preference:

Thirsty Monk
Hillman
Burial
One World
White Labs
Green Man (Dirty Jack's instead of the Green Mansion)
Bhramari
Hi-Wire
Wedge
New Belgium
Zebulon (a few mile north in Weaverville...unique Ales and worth the trip)
New Belgium
Wicked Weed/Funkatorium (if you are not opposed to them)

If you are central to downtown walking trip down the south slope will get you lots of great beer stops. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 11:11:47 am »
Thanks Denny! Coming from you, that will definitely be on the short list.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 11:12:25 am »
Lots of great places to visit and you have very few that will disappoint. But a place you don't want to miss is Sierra Nevada at Mills River. It is Disneyland for beer geeks. Beautiful campus, and if you will be there on a Thursday register for the Beer Geek tour. I think it is up $40/person now, limited to 6 people, and only on  Thursdays with one in the morning and one in the afternoon. You get an (empty) 32oz Growler, tee shirt and if you are willing to drink it they will serve $40 worth of beer on the tour ending with samples of whatever is in the barrel room. It is near the Asheville airport so without a car it is a pricey Uber but worth the trip. Registration opens for each month two months before and afternoon tours fill fast, check the SN website for current details. 

Other than that, in no particular order of preference:

Thirsty Monk
Hillman
Burial
One World
White Labs
Green Man (Dirty Jack's instead of the Green Mansion)
Bhramari
Hi-Wire
Wedge
New Belgium
Zebulon (a few mile north in Weaverville...unique Ales and worth the trip)
New Belgium
Wicked Weed/Funkatorium (if you are not opposed to them)

If you are central to downtown walking trip down the south slope will get you lots of great beer stops.

I have some research cut out for me!

Thanks!

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 10:19:26 pm »
Sierra Nevada, the beers are good, the food is also. Go out the back doors to the patio and fire pit, there is also set of taps out there.

We did the Beer Geek tour last year, I recommend it. The Fairfield Inn across from the Airport is convenient to SN, and they will shuttle you to the Brewery and pick you up, just ask. They do a lot of business with the brewery and beer tourists, so they are glad to do it.

There are many breweries in and around the town. Let us know your impressions.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 09:28:35 am »
Keep in mind neither Zebulon nor Sierra Nevada are in Asheville.

Zebulon is in Weaverville about 15 min or so North. Sierra Nevada is in Mills River and is about 30 min South. I think Zebulon is only opened on Friday and Saturday so call to be sure before you go.

Looks like the list left out in Asheville:
Catawba, Asheville Brewing, Archetype, Sweeten Creek (great sandwiches), Ben's Tune Up, French Broad, Ginger's Revenge, Highland, Oysterhouse, Twin Leaf, UpCountry, and Zillicoah
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 10:50:46 am »
Keep in mind neither Zebulon nor Sierra Nevada are in Asheville.

Zebulon is in Weaverville about 15 min or so North. Sierra Nevada is in Mills River and is about 30 min South. I think Zebulon is only opened on Friday and Saturday so call to be sure before you go.

Looks like the list left out in Asheville:
Catawba, Asheville Brewing, Archetype, Sweeten Creek (great sandwiches), Ben's Tune Up, French Broad, Ginger's Revenge, Highland, Oysterhouse, Twin Leaf, UpCountry, and Zillicoah

Yes, We were checking the locations from downtown and putting the short list of breweries together. Thanks for the input. Gives me more to consider!!

I'm definitely going to Zebulon! Uber away!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 11:41:52 am »
If you are up for a great meal get a reservation at The Admiral or course that would take time away from visiting breweries.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 12:10:31 pm »
If you are up for a great meal get a reservation at The Admiral or course that would take time away from visiting breweries.

I just checked out their story! Menu and beverage list look worth a visit.

Reservations will be made tmrrw!

Thanks for the tip.