Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Acidulated Malt  (Read 5638 times)

Big Monk

Re: Acidulated Malt
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 06:22:19 am »

Acid malt is fine for mash acidification.  But it cannot address either sparge acidification (where needed, as this is easily dispensed with by using deionized sparge liquor) or, more importantly, adjustment of wort pH in the kettle.  Since you will still need additions of acid at these stages of the process, I see no real advantage to using acid malt in the mash.  Using acid throughout simplifies things and makes the calculations easier all around.  My view.

I use acid malt because to me it’s easier and I don’t acidify in the boil. I also model it’s acid characteristics as malt and it gets crushed with my malt so it’s a no brainer.

Acid malt is a great option if you don’t need acid anywhere else in the process.

Agreed.  I just don't see a need to use both in one brew.  I do acidify in the kettle, and I also don't have your kung fu with the calculations.  I can just about get it right if straight up mEq of acid is all I have to  come up with.

I don’t know about Kung Fu but I definitely take a topic and strangle it to death until I know it in and out and then make an excel sheet from it!

I will say the the Q (mEq) model (charge conservation model) for estimating pH has been an eye opener. I understand water chemistry much better than I ever did after wrangling it.

A.J. deLange has the patience of a saint for answering the 70 billion questions I had.