Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BA needs homebrewers more than homebrewers need BA--discuss  (Read 7194 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BA needs homebrewers more than homebrewers need BA--discuss
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2019, 04:20:52 pm »

Bamforth... has a gig with Sierra Nevada now.

I did not know that.   I guess this means that ABI no longer had any place for technical expertise or quality control?    ;)

He sat the AB endowed chair at UC Davis. AB has contributed money and equipment for that position. He was not tied to them as far as research or consulting.

He did retire from UC Davis last year, and the position at Sierra Nevada is as a consultant.
Thanks for setting me straight.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2019, 10:26:09 pm »
I can see why someone would feel that maybe there should be more distance betweeen the AHA and the BA.  A case in point is that I doubt the AHA would ever support laws that might be advantageous to home brewers to the detriment of craft brewers.  Case in point.  In California we can serve Homebrew at the same festival but they have to be separate areas.  The reason being so the beer drinker isn’t “confused”.   What difference does it make.....they are drinking beer.  I believe that at the NHC in San Diego a few years ago it was an issue.
Anyways I still love the AHA!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2019, 08:27:18 am »
There are more AHA members than breweries that are BA members. The AHA's dues are much less than dues for the BA. The BA's staff is much bigger.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/membership/membership-types/brewery/

https://www.brewersassociation.org/brewers-association/staff/

If you have been to a Conference, you will notice the BA events staff that does much of the behind the scenes work.

The BA does view homebrewers as the future members of the BA as they turn pro.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2019, 09:43:59 am »
I can see why someone would feel that maybe there should be more distance betweeen the AHA and the BA.  A case in point is that I doubt the AHA would ever support laws that might be advantageous to home brewers to the detriment of craft brewers.  Case in point.  In California we can serve Homebrew at the same festival but they have to be separate areas.  The reason being so the beer drinker isn’t “confused”.   What difference does it make.....they are drinking beer.  I believe that at the NHC in San Diego a few years ago it was an issue.

Those are state laws.  Nothing the AHA/BA can do about them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

BA needs homebrewers more than homebrewers need BA--discuss
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2019, 10:00:29 am »

I disagree. The AHA and BA are lobbying groups. An example provided in this thread just a few posts ago:

When I lived in Mississippi Gary Glass made multiple trips to help lobby for homebrewing rights. We got them. I think he helped Alabama a lot too.

There is A LOT they can do to help advise and support the local members to get laws changed.

From the AHA site: “The American Homebrewers Association (AHA) focuses on a variety of government affairs-related activities on behalf of America’s homebrewing community. The AHA works on issues that directly affect homebrewers, such as transportation of homebrew to competitions, and events and laws relating to serving homebrew at organized events.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2019, 10:20:25 am »

I disagree. The AHA and BA are lobbying groups. An example provided in this thread just a few posts ago:

When I lived in Mississippi Gary Glass made multiple trips to help lobby for homebrewing rights. We got them. I think he helped Alabama a lot too.

There is A LOT they can do to help advise and support the local members to get laws changed.

From the AHA site: “The American Homebrewers Association (AHA) focuses on a variety of government affairs-related activities on behalf of America’s homebrewing community. The AHA works on issues that directly affect homebrewers, such as transportation of homebrew to competitions, and events and laws relating to serving homebrew at organized events.”

It takes the work of local citizens to get those laws changed. The AHA acts as a support group for that.

Denny worked on getting a law changed in Oregon. There is a picture of him and others at the signing, somewhere on the internet.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2019, 10:28:30 am »

The AHA/BA can help once local efforts are initiated.  I know first hand how it works

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2019, 11:47:03 am »
It takes the work of local citizens to get those laws changed. The AHA acts as a support group for that.

The AHA/BA can help once local efforts are initiated.

Is that not what I said?   “... help advise and support the local members to get laws changed.”

Isn’t that support far from doing nothing as Denny stated?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2019, 12:12:43 pm »

Is that not what I said?   “... help advise and support the local members to get laws changed.”

We're obviously saying the same thing.  It had sounded like you wanted the AHA to initiate things.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2019, 12:17:33 pm »
No. I understand their position. I simply disagreed that they do nothing to help get state laws changed.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2019, 12:22:20 pm »

I realize that.  But if homebrewers were pushing for a law that the California Craft Brewers Association was opposed to?  Would AHA support homebrewers and the BA support the pro brewers? That seems awkward and unlikely to happen.  My guess is we would not be supported.  Ultimately the allegiance is to the pro brewers.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:33:45 am by dbeechum »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2019, 12:43:22 pm »

We're obviously saying the same thing.  It had sounded like you wanted the AHA to initiate things.

I am going to chime in on this as well from an informational standpoint.  To go to the last few posts first, the AHA does provide a lot of help with changing state laws with regard to homebrewing.  I have first hand knowledge of this with what I am trying to do here in Ohio.  That said, "help will always be given [by the AHA] to those who ask for it" (to coin a phrase).  When I started the work to change the law in Ohio with regard to transporting and serving homebrew, I got Gary Glass involved and he provided a lot of advice and guidance.  John Moorehead is now taking the lead at the AHA on this and has been extremely helpful.  But the AHA will not itself initiate legislation in states like Ohio. We homebrewers here have to start it as we tend to have a bit more clout being residents of these states that need laws modified than the AHA does.

Secondly, with regard to the Best Beers in America thing in Zymurgy, if it doesn't interest you, don't read it (as others have said).  I use the information in the article to search out a lot of these beers and try them.  I sometimes get ideas for a new beer here in my homebrewery.  I also get ideas at beerfests.  Many times I can do something new that my wife, my friends, and I enjoy. Just my $0.02.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2019, 12:53:19 pm »
I realize that.  But if homebrewers were pushing for a law that the California Craft Brewers Association was opposed to?  Would AHA support homebrewers and the BA support the pro brewers? That seems awkward and unlikely to happen.  My guess is we would not be supported.  Ultimately the allegiance is to the pro brewers.

Well I'm not sure what condition might not be in both of our interests, but I suppose it could happen. Under that condition, I would say you have to follow the money. We homebrewers are out of luck.

In my terms on the AHA Governing Committee, I've noted that BA and its members are solidly behind AHA and homebrewers. However, I don't believe its under the assumption that we'll be future craftbrewers. I believe its because we tend to be the pulse of craftbrewing and innovation and we are great craftbeer consumers and advocates. In other words, BA members are supporting their best customers.

Regarding who needs who...more, I don't believe that either does need the other. We would get by fine separately. But there is great synergy in our pairing and it was the creation of AHA that enabled Charlie P. to forge his craftbrewing alliances and acquisitions that now form BA. Overall, I'm very happy that AHA is part of the BA team.

By the way, BA does underwrite AHA operations. AHA does far more for homebrewers with the help of BA.   
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2019, 12:54:07 pm »
No. I understand their position. I simply disagreed that they do nothing to help get state laws changed.

It's my fault for not being more specific.  I should have said there's nothing they can do about them on their own. They certainly can support local groups.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2019, 12:55:12 pm »

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that.  Do you have an example in mind?

www.dennybrew.com