Author Topic: Greetings from Huntsville, Alabama  (Read 150 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
    • View Profile
Greetings from Huntsville, Alabama
« on: April 13, 2019, 03:39:35 AM »
I have been here for a while, but thought I would introduce myself again. I am a new me.

I first started brewing in the mid-nineties. I took time off to get married and have kids. I have been back at it for about 10 years.

As usual drinking the beer is the best and hardest part. I struggled with my weight all that time.

About 3.5 years ago I started running to counter the beer drinking. I started on a treadmill. That sucked. So, I enrolled in a 10K class at the local Fleet Feet. Running with lots of people (people who are also slow) is a way more fun. The class took 10-12 weeks to work us up to the 10K distance and then we finished by running a local race. I liked the 10K class so, I signed up for a half marathon class. Next, I tried a sprint triathlon class. Then, two more half marathon classes. Over 2.5 years I lost maybe 5 pounds but, I felt great. I finally decided to go for a marathon last year but, I thought I should loose some weight before running that distance. I didn’t know how to loose weight though. Nothing had ever worked.

Last April I heard a presentation and the speaker mentioned that the only diets that work long term are diets that involve keeping a food diary.  For some reason that resonated with me. I downloaded MyFitnessPal (a food diary app) and set a daily calorie goal to loose one pound a week. That was 1 year ago. I lost 40 pounds and stopped dieting two months ago.  I still use MyFitnessPal to maintain my weight.

I ran my marathon last December. Here I am after an Ultra Trail Marathon in January.

Loosing the weight made me so much faster and hooked me hard on running.  I keep my running medals in the brewery.

I was supposed to run another marathon on Sunday. It was just delayed 2 weeks due to predicted bad weather.

Keeping the weight off has required dropping my beer consumption a bit. Thankfully, my new running friends are helping me polish off the kegs. ;)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from Huntsville, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:05:10 AM »
Damn.  I used to be a distance runner.  I miss it.  Nothing made me feel more elated.  Short story, my decline has no direct, blameworthy connection with beer or food consumption, that hasn't changed.  I  brewed, cooked, drank and ate much the same as ever while I ran and since. Which is to say as healthy as possible.  But a decade plus of caring for ailing parents gradually ended my running.  You can only do so much in one day, and have to triage  your activities.  And once your metabolism gets dialed in to one set of expectations for enough of your life, it's hard to shift it.  You know that I suppose.  So now I'm fat.  Don't think I could ever reverse the situation.  God bless you and keep it up, Tommy.  You're my hero of the day.  New you, old you, you're a good man.  Welcome again.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Bob357

• Brewer
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 09:28:49 AM »
Also an ex runner. Used to run 7 miles every morning. That was a long time ago. Congrats on your progress. Mine has been in the opposite direction. Now my longest run is when trying to make it to the toilet in time :) It really sucks to get old.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewBama

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 11:45:07 AM »
Good job Tommy. You look great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Huntsville AL

Offline goose

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »
Way to go, Tommy!  I ran track in HS but now use the treadmill and a stationery bike to try to keep weight down.  Unfortunately, my two months in FL added about 9 lbs to my middle section despite exercising at the gym every other day.  Too much good beer to sample!

Ik nock off the extra weight in a few weeks now that we are home.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified
AHA Governing Committee Member

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:45:10 AM »
Welcome New Tommy!

I got into running about 3 years ago when I was doing 5k in the "Will Run for Beer" series in the NH area.  Done a couple half marathons, and have two scheduled in May (two weeks apart...hopefully that's enough recovery time).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
    • View Profile
Greetings from Huntsville, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:40:17 PM »
Welcome New Tommy!

I got into running about 3 years ago when I was doing 5k in the "Will Run for Beer" series in the NH area.  Done a couple half marathons, and have two scheduled in May (two weeks apart...hopefully that's enough recovery time).
Awesome! Instead of “13.1” or similar sticker on my car, I have one that says “Will run for beer”.

Good luck on your back to back half. That should be a good challenge.

Offline Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »
Welcome New Tommy!

Awesome! Instead of “13.1” or similar sticker on my car, I have one that says “Will run for beer”.

Saw one that said "13.1 -- I'm only half crazy."  :)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 04:26:56 PM »
Welcome New Tommy!

Saw one that said "13.1 -- I'm only half crazy."  :)
I just saw that one yesterday.