Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First All Grain is in the books!  (Read 925 times)

Offline Brewmeisters

• Assistant Brewer
First All Grain is in the books!
« on: April 15, 2019, 05:24:52 pm »
Saturday, we brewed our first all grain beer.
Finally got to use the immersion chiller, propane burner, and the new kettles. My friend came over to teach us the process. And then while waiting for the hop additions, we traded different hops the smell and see if we could pick up the different aromas. It seems that I did a lot less washing and sanitizing that when we were doing extracts.
We should have invested in an immersion chiller a long time ago! It’s so much better than an ice bath and a sink.

Overall, it was a great learning experience. I’m really looking forward to more brewing with this new setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you brew, brew with a happy heart.

Offline Alfredbrewer

• Cellarman
Re: First All Grain is in the books!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:13:23 pm »
Congrats. Fun times for sure. The step to all grain can seem intimidating until you go for it. It also definitely opens doors for new toys to play with! Was probably reassuring having a friend with experience there to give pointers. My only regret after going all grain was not trying it sooner. I hope your experience and outcome is similar.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 06:38:26 pm »
Congratulations!  Soon, you’ll be brewing better beer than you can buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Brewmeisters

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 06:48:29 pm »
I definitely regret not converting sooner!
That immersion chiller is a blessing, while we have well water and the water temperature was a consistent 45 degrees, we had it chilled in less than 5 minutes. So much easier.

My friend has an all electric system,his knowledge and experience was such a great help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brewmeisters

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:29:21 pm »
Here's the beer we brewed.
https://chicagobrewwerks.com/collections/beer/products/cbw-hadoken-5-gallon-all-grain-ingredient-kit

6oz. of hops in this beer. And a couple of the varieties I've never heard of too.
I think we had more fun smelling the hops and identifying the aromas, more than anything.