Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blonde advice maris otter?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Blonde advice maris otter?
« on: April 19, 2019, 05:02:21 pm »
 I’ve never used MO before and I was thinking of giving it a try in my house blonde. My normal blonde grist is:
7lb 2row pale
12oz cara-pils
8oz crystal10L
8oz vienna

I was thinking of substituting the 2row for either 7 pounds of MO, or 3.5lb MO and 3.5lb Pilsner.

Any opinions on how this would taste, and if I do use 3.5 pounds of Pilsner, with a 60 minute boil be enough?

Thanks
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Blonde advice maris otter?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 08:18:05 pm »
I use Maris in most everything I make, I do like the flavor. I usually go about half and half with 2-row, but have also brewed several with 100% Maris for base malts. Having never used it I would go with 50/50. Never had any issues with a 60 min boil.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 05:29:15 am »
In my opinion, Maris Otter works and is appropriate as a base in all UK brews.  I have further used it on a number of Belgian brews and, on occasion, I’ve used it in a few German brews.  It’s your beer, make it they way you want it!

Yes, a 60 minute boil will workout fine.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 05:39:38 am »
If you’ve not used Maris Otter before, you might try a SMaSH recipe. IMO it’s a great way to taste an ingredient for the first time. The beers usually turn out very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 06:06:56 am »
If you’ve not used Maris Otter before, you might try a SMaSH recipe. IMO it’s a great way to taste an ingredient for the first time. The beers usually turn out very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s a great idea!  I once did a SMaSH using Maris Otter and Citra.  Turned out amazing!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 10:46:23 am »
FWIW I've used MO many times, but just recently used a floor malted version. To me it's much more bready/doughy, so just something to think about if you have access to both.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk