Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Seasonal Release - VOYAGER  (Read 894 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Seasonal Release - VOYAGER
« on: April 19, 2019, 10:12:09 am »
I see Imperial has a seasonal release. I do not see it on my comparison chart and I don’t see much information according to the usual suspects. Does anyone here know what this yeast is comparable to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: Seasonal Release - VOYAGER
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 11:03:52 am »
It's supposed to be similar to the Timothy Taylor strain and top-croppable.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 11:11:58 am »
Thank you!  That sounds awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 02:05:23 pm »
Timothy Taylor as in Landlord Bitter?  I would really like to know how it tastes fresh and maybe this will be the route....now for a recipe that is reliably close.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 02:19:23 pm »
Timothy Taylor as in Landlord Bitter?  I would really like to know how it tastes fresh and maybe this will be the route....now for a recipe that is reliably close.

Cheers!
I think WY1469 (correct #? West Yorkshire anyway) is supposed to be Timothy Taylor too, but I like this description of "similar to the Timothy Taylor strain" given all we know about yeast strains now.

As for the recipe, it is reliably reported to be nothing but Golden Promise, invert, and a little brewers caramel for color adjustment.  (Their website as well as various correspondents support this.) Just what you'd expect from a classic English bitter.   Roger Protz has reported that the hop bill is Fuggles, Styrian and WGV.  He's said it's Styrians in the hop back.  Hope this helps.

Cheers!

EDIT
Just looked at TT's website again.  Their Landlord profile is somewhat disingenuous.   It says "Malt: 100% Golden Promise."  Makes it sound like an all malt beer.  But everyone knows, and thay make no secret of it, that it contains a good portion of sugar.  Until quite recently, a British brewer might have proudly advertised the quality and cost of the sugars required in a traditional ale (as Black Sheep has done with Emmerdale and its Demerara.)  Guess the hipster craft brew crowd is sugar shaming now.  (Though actually CAMRA started that years ago, which is richly ironic:  complaining a beer is made too traditionally...)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 04:05:55 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.