Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bittering Adjustment to American Amber  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Slow Willy

• 1st Kit
    • Das Hausbrauers von Buffalo Homebrew Club
Bittering Adjustment to American Amber
« on: April 20, 2019, 12:18:55 pm »
Hey all,
I have an American Amber recipe that I have made which I very much like. Even though the IBU's for this beer calculate out at 41 according to BeerSmith, I get more of a maltier and slightly sweeter taste up front and want to try and get a more assertive up front bitterness out of it the next time I brew it.

This recipe has an OG of 1.063 and FG of about 1.016. The initial 60 minute hop addition is .6 oz of Magnum and the rest of the hops are Cascade and Centennial that come at the last 10 minutes and at flameout to make up the rest of the IBU's.

My question is what would you recommend to get a more assertive bitterness out of the beer? Increase the Magnum at 60 minutes and lighten up on the late hop additions to keep the IBU's around the same? Slightly increase the Magnum and do nothing to the late additions to increase IBU even more? Use a different, more aggressive bittering hop than Magnum?

Thanks

Bill S

Buffalo, NY

BJCP Judge - Certified

Das Hausbrauers von Buffalo Homebrew Club

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Bittering Adjustment to American Amber
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 12:32:53 pm »
I'd use a different hop and some gypsum, of you aren't already.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 12:41:13 pm »
More drying on the beer finish might be enough to improve that beer. As 'some guy' previously mentioned, increasing the sulfate content would help ;). You can check the effect out now by adding a thin pinch of gypsum powder to a pint of that beer and mixing it in. That amount should be around 100 ppm sulfate.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 12:46:32 pm »
Ignore IBU calculations, trust your taste buds.  I've never tasted a number!  If you like the flavor and aroma and just want a more assertive bitterness,  don't change the late hops.  Denny's suggestion is one option.  (Sulfate doesn't make it more bitter, but makes it seem drier and less malt-forward in the balance.)  Chinook would be my first choice for a different bittering hop.  Or you could stick with the Magnum and increase it a bit.  Just don't change too many things at once or you won't learn which ones do what you want.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Slow Willy

• 1st Kit
    • Das Hausbrauers von Buffalo Homebrew Club
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 12:56:30 pm »
Great feedback so far, thank you. I brew this with water from the Great Lakes and used the Amber Balanced profile on Martin's spreadsheet which had me put in a total of 2.5g of gypsum already.
Bill S

Buffalo, NY

BJCP Judge - Certified

Das Hausbrauers von Buffalo Homebrew Club

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 01:00:00 pm »
Great feedback so far, thank you. I brew this with water from the Great Lakes and used the Amber Balanced profile on Martin's spreadsheet which had me put in a total of 2.5g of gypsum already.
If you're using Bru'n Water already, try Amber Dry and see how that does.  It might just be a little adjustment like that.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 03:58:36 pm »
Brad Smith's most recent Beersmith video podcast is with Stan Hieronymus and they talk about hops and bitterness. You might find some insight on how to achieve the hop characteristic you're looking for.

https://youtu.be/mm3YpLlRSlA
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 10:54:11 pm »
Bump up the magnum @ 60 a tick, it'll be fine. I would not ignore Beersmith BU numbers, but they need to be relative to your palate. For my recipes/processes, I know what ~40 BUs brings to my palate, but 40 BUs won't necessarily be the same for your recipes/processes.

Offline BrewBama

Bittering Adjustment to American Amber
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 06:07:21 am »
Hey all,
I have an American Amber recipe that I have made which I very much like. Even though the IBU's for this beer calculate out at 41 according to BeerSmith, I get more of a maltier and slightly sweeter taste up front and want to try and get a more assertive up front bitterness out of it the next time I brew it.

This recipe has an OG of 1.063 and FG of about 1.016. The initial 60 minute hop addition is .6 oz of Magnum and the rest of the hops are Cascade and Centennial that come at the last 10 minutes and at flameout to make up the rest of the IBU's.

My question is what would you recommend to get a more assertive bitterness out of the beer? Increase the Magnum at 60 minutes and lighten up on the late hop additions to keep the IBU's around the same? Slightly increase the Magnum and do nothing to the late additions to increase IBU even more? Use a different, more aggressive bittering hop than Magnum?

Thanks

Have you calculated your hop schedule with another calculator as a sanity check?  I found a box checked in my BeerSmith profile that significantly influenced the number of IBU(s) in late hop additions. Basically, with this box checked, BS was grossly overstating IBU(s) for late hops additions which would have produced a very low bittered beer. When I looked at the numbers it just didn’t look right so I checked with Brewer’s Friend and found the error (with some assistance from the good folks here). 

As others have said, the IBU number these calculators estimate is just a reference point for your pallet on beer produced in your brewery using your processes. IMO, It does not import/export well from/to other breweries and other people.  OG, FG, yeast, water and who knows what else also have roles in how bitterness is perceived. Jim may have the best idea to describe bitterness as very low, low, med low, medium, medium high, high, or very high vs using the number a calculation provides. I like the BU:GU ratio and Relative BU:GU (which takes attenuation into account) to help me cage my perceived bitterness as well.

BTW, a while back I used the pinch of gypsum trick Martin recommends. I was amazed at the difference it made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:11:29 am by BrewBama »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 01:54:07 pm »
I live north of Lake Superior. My water is very low in minerals. My notes are in my garage-brewery but I believe I use around 1.5 grams gypsum per gallon water. My typical 60 min hopping rate is 1oz Magnum or Northern Brewer per 5 gallons. I'd bump up the Magnum first.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 03:58:37 pm »
I use simcoe, summit, and saphir in my amber.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women