Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 48 hour fermentation  (Read 3423 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 48 hour fermentation
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 02:33:40 pm »
... as long as you keep things sanitized, give the carboy a hit of CO2 before racking, and make sure the beer doesn't splash as it's being syphoned, I think danger is minimal.

If you read the Low Oxygen Brewing website you’ll see a very different point of view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 02:38:18 pm »
... as long as you keep things sanitized, give the carboy a hit of CO2 before racking, and make sure the beer doesn't splash as it's being syphoned, I think danger is minimal.

If you read the Low Oxygen Brewing website you’ll see a very different point of view.

which may or may not be valid for all people
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 02:58:46 pm »

I'd say it's valid for everyone in the sense that oxygen, and its effects on beer at even very low levels, are undeniably real.  What varies is that not all brewers prioritize avoidance of these effects, whether for aesthetic, stylistic or purely realistic, practical reasons.  But all should be aware of the issues so they can decide how, or whether, to address them.   It would be unfortunate for a brewer to wish to avoid oxidative effects, and believe they are taking measures to do so, only to be thwarted by misinformation or misunderstandings which have been so prevalent in the homebrew sphere for so long.  At least various sources, including the AHA site, have made some forward progress on this in recent years. If it's not important to you, that's fine.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 03:36:42 pm »

I'd say it's valid for everyone in the sense that oxygen, and its effects on beer at even very low levels, are undeniably real.  What varies is that not all brewers prioritize avoidance of these effects, whether for aesthetic, stylistic or purely realistic, practical reasons.  But all should be aware of the issues so they can decide how, or whether, to address them.   It would be unfortunate for a brewer to wish to avoid oxidative effects, and believe they are taking measures to do so, only to be thwarted by misinformation or misunderstandings which have been so prevalent in the homebrew sphere for so long.  At least various sources, including the AHA site, have made some forward progress on this in recent years. If it's not important to you, that's fine.

OTOH, there are some styles that benefit from a bit of oxidation.  As hopfenundmalz has documented, there are styles that don't benefit from extremely low oxygen brewing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 03:48:50 pm »

OTOH, there are some styles that benefit from a bit of oxidation.  As hopfenundmalz has documented, there are styles that don't benefit from extremely low oxygen brewing.
Exactly why I think it's important to be well informed.  For any given style you want to be able to manage oxygen exposure appropriately. Like in everything in life, you can't take control of your situation without knowing the facts. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 07:13:05 pm »
Wow, didn't intend to set off that tangent :)

Thanks for all the input guys!

@nikegonz - As I'm sure many would say, you'll find a lot of knowledge and information here.  Take the time to read, learn, experiment, and find what methods you would like to incorporate into your brewing process.  And RDWHAHB!

Let us know what happens with that wheat beer.  Cheers!

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 07:22:35 pm »
^^^^
Yes, above all RDWHAHB.   You can get in as deep as you want, but if it's not fun -- whatever that is for you -- it's not a hobby anymore!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

48 hour fermentation
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 07:35:45 pm »

I was simply pointing out that there are those with a very different view on the techniques cited. To each his own.  No tangent intended.

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 07:56:06 pm »

I was simply pointing out that there are those with a very different view on the techniques cited. To each his own.  No tangent intended.

Okay I know I should just leave this, but... it's not really different views on the techniques.  That's like different views on the law of gravity.  A shot of CO2 and avoiding splashing does exactly bupkas to reduce oxygen exposure, in this universe with these laws of physics and chemistry,  and  brewers should know this.  But indeed to each his own. It's absolutely up to you whether it matters or not.  Now I'm gonna RDWHAHB.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 08:04:01 pm »
We are in agreement.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 03:40:59 pm »
Okay I know I should just leave this, but... it's not really different views on the techniques.  That's like different views on the law of gravity.  A shot of CO2 and avoiding splashing does exactly bupkas to reduce oxygen exposure, in this universe with these laws of physics and chemistry,  and  brewers should know this.  But indeed to each his own. It's absolutely up to you whether it matters or not.  Now I'm gonna RDWHAHB.

I take your point, but sometimes it's not a question of deciding whether it matters or not.  It's about doing the best with the setup that you have.  I'd love to run a completely closed system from the beginning of the brew until the end, but I'm just not there yet (hopefully someday, small steps).  With each new batch I try to make adjustments to do things better.  One of my more recent changes was putting a chilling coil in the primary fermenter rather than relying on the temperature of the room.  And admittedly there may still be some antiquated steps in my process that I need to adjust.  But I do care about the beer I brew, and I usually like it.  Otherwise I wouldn't do it.  Like hopefully many others here, I'm still learning something new with pretty much every batch.  As always, appreciate the input.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 04:08:00 pm »
Do What You Can, With What You Have, Where You Are. — Teddy Roosevelt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk