Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Overnight Mash for Dark beers  (Read 1373 times)

Offline petermmitchell

• Cellarman
Overnight Mash for Dark beers
« on: April 23, 2019, 05:54:29 pm »
I've had success with mashing overnight for light and drier IPAs and Belgian style beers.  But I wanted to ask those of you who overnight mash, have you ever tried it in a darker beer like a robust porter or stout?  Wondering if there are any concerns about ph or dark grains causing off flavors steeping too long. 

Offline pullapint

• 1st Kit
Re: Overnight Mash for Dark beers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 07:35:54 pm »
I've done a cold mash for a couple of porters. I've never mashed too hot to extract tannins. I've not noticed a difference.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/cold-steeping-getting-the-most-out-of-dark-grains/

And here's someone who did the work.
http://brulosophy.com/2017/12/04/roasted-grains-pt-4-cold-steeping-vs-full-mash-exbeeriment-results/

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:08:49 am »
I did an overnight BIAB mash with a dopplebock last year, came out great, no harshness whatsoever.  Scored a 44/50 recently
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 06:26:03 am »
i have had some success doing overnight mashes, though admittedly it's been easily 20 years since the last once. i always added some extra cara-pils to the recipe and I never had any off flavors and, as long as I kept tge temp up in the 145-155, great results. With a dark beer I would mash the base grains overnight then add the dark grains the next morning. i'm not exactly sure what the effect of the pH will be for the overnight mash but you might add some sodium bicarbonate to the mash when you add the dark malts after a pH check.