Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finings in keg vs fermentor?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
Finings in keg vs fermentor?
« on: May 08, 2019, 01:32:31 pm »
Which do you prefer and why? The one time I did it I added it to the fermentor. My thinking is if you add it to the keg, whatever drops out will be in every glass you pour. How do you get around this if this is the case? I've seen devices you can add to the keg to draw from the top, but I'm trying to avoid adding more equipment.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: Finings in keg vs fermentor?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 01:37:16 pm »
I do it in the keg, because I have no way to cold crash my fermentor.  I use http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/, it's a floating dip  tube that serves beer from the top.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:49:33 pm »
Using a tubing cutter, trim about an inch off the dip tube in the keg.  You'll draw from above the sediment.  Nothing extra to buy or clean, and doesn't affect doing closed transfer to the keg through the dip tube.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopsindahood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 05:25:41 pm »
If you fine in the keg and cold crash, the vast majority of sediment will drop to the bottom of the keg.  If you pull a half pint of beer, you'll pull all the sediment out of the area around the dip tube and there won't be any more sediment to pull.  Some beers take a while to drop clear, so if you're not waiting long enough, you may continue to get sediment, but you can always pull a small amount, dump it and then do your pour.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 09:55:27 pm »
My personal preference is fining in the keg. The beer needs time to carbonate, so why not have the fining process working at the same time. Hopsinahood  is correct in that the sediment will drop out and be dispensed in the initial pour(s). The amount of sediment and the temperature will determine how much will need to be dispensed before the beer pours clear.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV