Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Brewing Software  (Read 4031 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New Brewing Software
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 01:15:38 pm »
It looks like I’ll be able to model Rye in with wheat. Which shouldn’t be startling as the flaked versions were so similar I made them a combined class.

Does it make any difference that rye malt is darker than wheat malt?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

New Brewing Software
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 01:21:20 pm »
It looks like I’ll be able to model Rye in with wheat. Which shouldn’t be startling as the flaked versions were so similar I made them a combined class.

Does it make any difference that rye malt is darker than wheat malt?

In this new algorithm, I don’t think so. Here the buffering power of a malt is tied more to its pH DI. Since rye tracks pretty closely to Wheat in pH DI, we can safely assume that it’s buffering co-efficients will be similar as well.

I’ll of course take in any and all empirical data from brewers who use the sheet.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:23:27 pm by Big Monk »

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 08:23:18 am »
I updated the classes to include Rye malt with the corresponding Light/White Wheat categories, as the research I did, along with the flaked varieties being so similar, suggested that it would perform comparably.

Also, as a general note, this sheet will include the required calculations for a single batch sparge, which is quite the departure for sheets I have created in recent past (namely the LOB software) that only supported No-Sparge. Hopefully that helps people out.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 08:31:12 am »
Followed the lengthier thread on another forum (to the extent that I could follow). Some of the posts looked like Matrix code.  Looking forward to it Derek.

Big Monk

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 10:41:46 am »
Followed the lengthier thread on another forum (to the extent that I could follow). Some of the posts looked like Matrix code.  Looking forward to it Derek.

Right. Some of the raw code that A.J. transmitted looked a bit out there!

Big Monk

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 11:11:32 am »
For those considering using this new software, would you prefer to have grain inputs in the percentage based format or mass based format?

Offline samuel.workman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 06:15:05 pm »
For me, percentages by far. I tend to work in Plato and extract, and figure recipes based on percentages. I begin with a volume and extract profile in mind, rather than just volume or batch size.

Been doing this by hand for years, but would love to use the sheet that way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 06:18:31 pm »
Wouldn't there have to be at least a total mass on there somewhere? 
I would prefer mass, if nothing else just because my other software uses it. 

Offline samuel.workman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 06:37:43 pm »
Yes, a total mass is necessary, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted everyone working with the numbers for coarse and fine grind like I was doing.

I have R code that does that. I miss percentages and total mass in the LOX sheet though, would love it here.

Big Monk

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 07:04:17 pm »
Looks like I’ll be releasing a 2 versions, both with a metric/English switch built in, 1 using percentage based recipe input (my preference) and weight/mass based (A.J.’s preference).

Any people want to β test the sheet? I’m looking for people who plan on brewing this week.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2018, 07:12:56 pm »
I should be able to test this weekend.  I plan to brew twice. 

Offline samuel.workman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2018, 07:45:29 pm »
Same.

Big Monk

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 09:50:35 pm »
Same.

I should be able to test this weekend.  I plan to brew twice.

PM me and I’ll get you guys both copies of what you need for testing this weekend. We can go over the data I’d like to see so I can run analysis afterwards.

Big Monk

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 07:10:53 am »
UPDATE: The Brewing Engine v1.12 is live.

The Brewing Engine replaces The Water Engine as it has the algorithm from The Water Engine embedded, along with extract and IBU calculations as well and full volume and gravity accounting.

The solver buttons are now gone as I was able to implement a solver free version of the proton deficit pH estimation algorithm from A.J.

Link in my signature.