Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Modular or full-face motorcycle helmets?  (Read 950 times)

Offline jaclynspradling

• 1st Kit
Modular or full-face motorcycle helmets?
« on: May 03, 2019, 02:33:55 am »
A motorcycle helmet is a piece of must-have equipment when riding a two-wheeler. This gear is very important in keeping you safe. Some states now are enforcing helmet laws. Knowing the demands, helmet manufacturers provide a wide range of options to meet each person’s comfort needs. If you want to know motorcycle helmets you really need, refer to this source: http://helmetszone.com/

Different types of helmets are produced for different intentions. They don’t even have the same level of safety. Among many models and designs, there are two most common types which are modular and full-face motorcycle helmets. At first look, you may not see any differences between them, but actually there are numerous dissimilarities between these two models.

Full-face helmet

This sort of motorcycle helmet provides protection to the entire head while riding your motorbike including your skull, whole head, jaw, and neck. For those who love to be maximumly protected, then full-faced helmets are right to go.

The chin bar is completely fixed, and there isn’t a hinge system like flip-up motorcycle helmets. Therefore, there isn’t a weak point throughout the whole helmet body.

You can confidently hit the tracks because you already have a full-faced gear. Nothing can stop you from breaking your limits and go straight to glory. Full-face motorbike headgear not only offers ideal protection but also provide fitment and comfort to your head. The Full-face is not as heavy as it was since the manufacturers develop their product every year.

They are now lightweight and aerodynamic, its weight is not gonna annoy you anymore.

Full-faced motorcycle headgear is also suitable for those who often have long ride or ride in heavy traffic. This type of helmet can help to resist noise from wind or noise from other vehicles on the street. Plus, riding hours outside means you are exposed to poor weather conditions like the cold, heat, rain. With a completed face motorcycle helmet your head is protected 100%. Motorbike hat with ventilation holes can help fresh air get inside and cool down the heat in the hot weather.

Modular motorcycle helmets

This is also called a Flip-up helmet as it has a hinge that connects the chin bar with an open-face. This hinge allows users to flip the chin bar to get extra comfort. Many people think this type of gear is designed mainly for those smoke, but it not actually true. All riders who wish to get some fresh air while stopping at the traffic light or parking can buy this helmet, not only smokers.

Two types of helmet are in one, how amazing it is when you just stop to grab some food at a shop. Instead of taking the motorbike helmet off, you just need to flip the chin bar up, and pull it down when things are done.

Read reviews of some modular motorcycle helmet here: https://helmetszone.com/best-modular-motorcycle-helmet.html

The open-face function is not intended for riding, it is just a side option used when parking. The drawback of modular is incomplete safety features. The hinge makes the chin bar not firmly fixed, so it can move up and down itself.

That means you are more likely to get injured when you fall.

Despite the lack of safety function, the modular motorcycle helmets are more favorable than full-face because of their convenience and comfort. Both of these models are good. Consider your preference( you prefer safety or comfort), then choose the best one for you. View photos of these two models posted on Pinterest by Helmetzone.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:30:45 am by jaclynspradling »

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Bananas and Stale Beer?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 01:54:58 pm »
Banana flavors come from any of several different esters produced by yeast, isoamyl acetate being the main one (as well as the main cause of banana in German hefewiezen). This ester is produced by many yeast strains, not just hefeweizen strains, but usually at levels that are not tastable. I've never tasted banana outside of the hefeweizen style, and certainly never in SNPA.

What I've definitely tasted in my and others' IPAs is that when they get older, the fruity hop character transforms into a pineapple-like flavor. Tastes like old Dole pineapple juice in those little cans. Perhaps this is what you're tasting?

Everyone's taste buds are different, it could be that you taste banana when the rest of us would taste, say, mango or pineapple.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 05:32:13 pm »
As hop flavor/aroma fades in aged beer you're going to pick up flavors that you didn't perceive before.

Something it could be, as crystal malts age (which I believe SNPA would have as an "old school" pale ale) they tend to take on some aromas like caramel, brown sugar, etc.  I can certainly see how that might be perceived as "fruity" or "banana".. again, like RC said, everyone's palette is different, if it's banana to you it's banana. But considering we're talking about stale beer I'm going to assume it's a product of aging and oxidation rather than yeast esters.

In theory (because I'm not going to say 100% ever) you shouldn't get isoamyl in lagers since they ferment cold. Esters are more expressed in warmer fermentations, so again, it could be a function of aging/oxidation that's doing funky things to the malts.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 06:24:37 pm »
Some Type Saaz lager yeasts, including the one used by the Žateč (Saaz) brewery, do give considerable amounts of esters, including distinct banana.   I've tasted it.  All lager yeasts of course produce esters, and they are an integral part of the character of the yeast and the beer.  Just more restrained than in ales, as noted in part because of fermentation temperature.   I would agree that they may be more noticeable as the fresh hop and malt notes fade.  As esters are the product of an alcohol and a fatty acid, I wonder if there is some purely chemical (non fermentive) mechanism by which they might be produced in staling beer containing some higher alcohols and oxidized lipids?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.