Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 3724 - Smoky Phenol  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Steve H

• 1st Kit
Wyeast 3724 - Smoky Phenol
« on: April 30, 2019, 09:21:06 am »
I need some help/feedback with Saison I have in the fermenter.  I used Wyeast 3724 and made a 2L starter.  I pitched the whole starter after it had been on a stir-plate for 24 hours. 

In many Belgian beers (not all) - I perceive a smoky phenol in the aroma.  My problem is that my Saison currently has an overbearing smoky phenol that I can only describe as smoked ham in the aroma and flavor.  Does anyone ever get this from Wyeast 3724?  Is this an infection since it's so overbearing?  The wort looks normal in the fermenter.  The krausen has dropped and nothing weird is growing on top of the wort and the beer is clearing.   

The beer had an OG of 1.056.  It has been in the fermenter for 37 days and is still not done.  The gravity last night was 1.007 and 4 days ago it was 1.008, so I'm letting it sit.

My 6 gallon recipe was -

German Pilsner 8.5 lbs
Light Munich 1lb 1oz
white Wheat 1lb 1oz
Invert Sugar from raw cane sugar - .5 lb
OG - 1.056
FG - TBD
Wyeast 3724 - 2L starter (pitched the whole starter)
Pitched at 66 degrees
After 24 hours or fermentation, I raised the temperature to 70 degrees.
I raised the temperature 2 degrees every 24 hours until 88 degrees where I have been holding it until FG
I used East Kent Golding Hops - 25 IBU
I mashed at 148 degrees for 90 minutes and batched sparged with 165 degree water
Boiled for 90 minutes
Added to 2.62g or yeast nutrient with 10 minutes left in the boil
Added pure oxygen to the wort for 90 seconds before pitching the yeast
I mashed at 5.35 ph

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?  Did I raise the temperature too aggressively?  Do you think this will clear up. 

Thank you for any feedback. 

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Wyeast 3724 - Smoky Phenol
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 07:35:24 am »
I really have not used that yeast so am not sure if the smoky notes you are getting is from that strain.  I use 3711 French Saison yeasts in my saison because it does not tend to peter out midway though fermentation and have never had that problem.

Regarding the temperature rise, I don't believe you have done anything wrong here.  I just brewed my saison yesterday and pitched at 73 degrees F. into a 15.2 degree plato beer (~1.061).  I let the beer free-rise in my walk-in cooler (obviously with the cooler turned off) to reach between 85 and 90 degrees during fermentation to get the slight phenolic characteristics I desire in the beer and let it stay there until terminal gravity is reached. (I just walked out and checked the beer and it is already at 80 degrees and I have won several medals with this beer using this method).  One of my friends that owns a brewery near Columbus, Ohio who is a BJCP Grand Master Judge once told me that "it can never get too hot when fermenting a saison".  You might want to try a different yeast strain next time and see if the smokiness goes away.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:14:36 pm »
Do you think this will clear up.

I personally would not worry about it until the beer has finished fermenting and is cold and carbonated.  See if you are still picking up an off flavor at that point, or after a few weeks of cold conditioning.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Steve H

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 09:03:35 am »
Thank you both.  I'm hoping it's a byproduct of fermentation which continues.  The gravity last night was 1.006.   I asked my wife to give me her opinion of the aroma and taste.  I did not tell her about my perception of smoky ham.  The good news is that her initial reaction was citrus and spice on the nose with a lemony taste but then on the third or fourth sniff she says I get this hint of bacon.  LOL!  Anyway, I'm going to let it sit until FG, cold condition it for a week or two after that, and then bottle it.  We will see what it has turned into by mid to late June. 

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 12:55:49 pm »
I’ve never had that with 3724. I get it every time with Voss Kveik though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Steve H

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 02:40:41 pm »
Hello all -

Reporting back for anyone that might be interested.  The beer finally finished and I let it condition for 2 weeks and bottled it.  It turned out very nice.  It has a nice citrus and spice mix.  I wanted another opinion so I entered the beer in a local contest.  I did not place in my category but both judges scored it a 35 commenting that they did not perceive any off flavors.  The prevailing comments were lemon and earthy aromas with a pepper phenol.  All in all, I'm very pleased with the result.  It turned into a very nice Saison.  I guess the aroma and flavor was a product of fermentation that needed time to clear.  I was worried for a bit but everything turned out fine in the end. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 03:23:15 pm »
Congrats on a good score for this Saison.  Many beers exhibit some characters that mellow and meld over time.  Glad you had success with the additional time.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"