Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops in mash  (Read 4789 times)

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Hops in mash
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:04:04 am »
On a whim yesterday I threw 1oz of fresh Nugget hop cones straight from the bine into the mash (I do BIAB).  I didn't have as much bittering hops in my freezer as I thought so was looking to up the bitterness a bit as the rest of my hops were to be used at whirlpool and post fermentation...I realize as they were still 'wet' that the 1 oz I used is much less than if I had used 1 oz of dried hop pellets so not really expecting much from this, just more of an experiment.  What, if any, effects have people seen from using hops in the mash compared to being used during the boil...
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hops in mash
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:13:56 am »
Whenmash hopping was the hot thi.ng several years ago I did some side by side test batches.  I used both whole hops and pellets, since pellets are supposedly more effective for the technique. I found that I got as much chracter our of adding bops to the mash as I would have if I flushed the down the toilet.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 08:32:16 am »
Whenmash hopping was the hot thi.ng several years ago I did some side by side test batches.  I used both whole hops and pellets, since pellets are supposedly more effective for the technique. I found that I got as much chracter our of adding bops to the mash as I would have if I flushed the down the toilet.

That's funny.  I'm guessing you still get the same bittering effect as the alpha acids still get boiled?  Or do they not get completely extraced and are filtered by grains during lautering and thus don't completely make it to boil kettle....
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hops in mash
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 08:39:21 am »
I had a drunk dude come up to me at a homebrew event swearing by mash hop addition(s). I mean he just went on and on how awesome he thought the technique was and how superior the beer was that he brewed with it. When he (finally) walked away I just kinda rolled my eyes because in my research, like Denny said, i found it just isn’t an efficient use of hops. Of course, that research has all been anecdotal.

I have read that instead of rice hulls, whole hops can be used with a large wheat addition to help lautering.  But I don’t know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:41:07 am by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 08:49:03 am »
A Pliny clone recipe was circulating years ago that called for mash hopping.  Tried it and compared it to boil, flavor, aroma and whirlpool additions (both were dry hopped).  I much preferred the traditional hopped over the mash hopped - which seemed to be grassier.  YMMV.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:03:35 am »
You won't get any bittering at all out of mash hopping, because they never reach isomerization temperature in an infusion or step mash.   You probably won't get any flavor either as Denny's and your experience shows.

Historically mash hopping has had two purposes.  One is to act like rice hulls in traditional wheat beers like Berliner Weisse (the old way) that had little or no barley.  These beers also were not boiled -- wort lautered from the mash tun straight to the fermenter -- so this was the only time hops were involved, and there were decoctions which compensated and allowed some isomerization and extraction.  The other use I've seen mentioned is that it was found that the polyphenols in very small amounts of hops added to the mash performed a similar function to gallotannin added to the mash.  BrewTan is cheaper and more reliable.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 09:09:26 am »

That's funny.  I'm guessing you still get the same bittering effect as the alpha acids still get boiled?  Or do they not get completely extraced and are filtered by grains during lautering and thus don't completely make it to boil kettle....

Nope.  A friend made an all ,ash hopped beer that called to 135 IBU.  It measured at 15.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 09:20:10 am »
We did this for a beer when I worked at my pro-brewer gig.   I never saw anything magical about this method.
I agree with Denny on you could get as much our of mash hopping if you just flushed the mash hops down the toilet.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified