Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil Length  (Read 6075 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Boil Length
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 07:31:36 pm »
I lightly boil for 60 minutes. I used to boil for 90 minutes for Pilsner malt because of the dreaded DMS, but I haven’t noticed any with a 60 minute boil. I also like using less propane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 02:47:55 pm »
I boil every batch 60-70 minutes, but am starting to think about boiling only 30-45 minutes because... good enough.

In our new book, I talk about 20 min. mash and 20 min. boil.  Works for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 03:25:37 pm »
My routine has always been to hit hot break, then add the bittering addition and that's when the clock starts.
Usually, that means its about a 75 min boil, give or take a few mins, when the longest hop addition time is 60.

I'm open to trying to shorten things, though, if it works well.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 04:54:23 am »
I boil for at least 60 and most times 75. Rarely do I go 90 mins unless I'm making a big beer and then its more like 120 mins. I don't mind long boil times at all. Its more time in the brewhouse and more time spent there is time well spent!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 08:29:24 am »
My routine has always been to hit hot break, then add the bittering addition and that's when the clock starts.
Usually, that means its about a 75 min boil, give or take a few mins, when the longest hop addition time is 60.

I'm open to trying to shorten things, though, if it works well.

Yeh, that's my normal boil, also.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SeanAY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 09:13:13 am »
I just put an Oktoberfest in yesterday, and walked away for a minute to find I ran out of propane with <10 minutes left in the 60-minute boil.  I was really hoping to stretch that tank out to the end, and I almost got there... :-\

I did a roughly 80-90 minute mash in, and had a vigorous boil going throughout, and just about hit my target gravity/volume (ended up at 1.060, was shooting for 1.056). 

I feel like I've seen enough material to make me feel "just OK" about it.  Tough thing with lagers is, I probably won't know until September...

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 10:37:17 am »
I do 30 minute boils. 
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline MerlinWerks

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 09:20:53 am »
For "normal" gravity beers 45m boil, hop additions start at 30m. I use either CMC or Best Pils as a base in a lot of my recipes and have never detected any DMS.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 07:42:55 am »
I’m a 45 minute mash and boil guy with my base malt being pils for almost everything.  Considering dropping to 30 minutes for less hoppy styles. Loving the time it saves me.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline ItsuNani

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 12:01:59 pm »
My standard boil length is 30 minutes. I brewed a batch with a 5 minute boil using mostly pilsner malt last week, and haven't noticed any DMS in a the sample I pulled. Going to be trying a no-boil (raw) brew next.

edit: Got my first taste of the 5 minute boil pils carbed up. Tastes a little young, but otherwise great. No discernible DMS. I feel I should add the caveat that it had a roughly 20 minute whirlpool after the boil, I use two pots (stove top) so the wort has plenty of surface area, and at no point did I cover it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:55:13 am by ItsuNani »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 01:37:28 pm »
I'm re-reading this on going post and I thought of something that I often compare brewing too and that is cooking. Are we not really cooking our grain into an end product that can arguably be termed food? Here is an example based on two types of tomato sauce that I make. One is a pizza sauce (no meat) and the other is a meat sauce. They both have similar ingredients and similar processes except in my case, the pizza sauce is only cooked for 5 mins and the meat sauce is cooked for 4 hours. Albeit, the pizza sauce does get additional cooking time when cooking the pizza.  Now they both taste spectacular if I may say but to me, nothing can substitute for that long slow 4 hour meat sauce. To correlate this back to brewing, lets say I make a Pils @ 1.050 OG and boil for 35 mins and then I make a Belgian Blonde @ 1.070 OG similar ingredients and similar processes. I think the Blonde will, hands down, always taste better. Just my opinion.

Offline Robert

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 02:21:22 pm »
The thing is that the application of heat is physically and chemically transforming all these things.  With your meat sauce, that's good.  Nobody wants random meat and veggies tossed on their pappardelle.  (Alton Brown had my head spinning when he broke down all the sequential reactions to consider in optimizing his process for a nice Bolognese.  PhD level stuff.)  But in beer wort, the transformations are not so positive, aside from the formation and elimination of DMS (which as has been discussed is more often an imaginary bogeyman than a real problem.)  The heat breaks down flavor compounds we desire, evolves unpleasant ones, and both generates precursors for and accelerates oxidative and other staling reactions.   So the least thermal loading possible will make fresher, maltier tasting beer that stays that way longer.  Moreover, the simple melanoidins and other caramelization and Maillard products produced on the kiln at the malthouse are much more pleasant and stable than those produced in the kettle.  We can do better by assembling the flavors we want in the fresh malt in our grist, then trying to handle it gently to preserve those flavors as best we can.  And the sooner your boil is done the sooner you can go have a beer.  With a plate of Bolognese.  Bonus.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 03:03:16 pm »
The thing is that the application of heat is physically and chemically transforming all these things.  With your meat sauce, that's good.  Nobody wants random meat and veggies tossed on their pappardelle.  (Alton Brown had my head spinning when he broke down all the sequential reactions to consider in optimizing his process for a nice Bolognese.  PhD level stuff.)  But in beer wort, the transformations are not so positive, aside from the formation and elimination of DMS (which as has been discussed is more often an imaginary bogeyman than a real problem.)  The heat breaks down flavor compounds we desire, evolves unpleasant ones, and both generates precursors for and accelerates oxidative and other staling reactions.   So the least thermal loading possible will make fresher, maltier tasting beer that stays that way longer.  Moreover, the simple melanoidins and other caramelization and Maillard products produced on the kiln at the malthouse are much more pleasant and stable than those produced in the kettle.  We can do better by assembling the flavors we want in the fresh malt in our grist, then trying to handle it gently to preserve those flavors as best we can.  And the sooner your boil is done the sooner you can go have a beer.  With a plate of Bolognese.  Bonus.

So I take it that you are a fan of shorter boil times based on your above statements? ;)
I will have to do an experiment on one of my recipes, quite possibly a Helles.

Offline BrewBama

Boil Length
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 03:36:01 pm »
Instead of shorter boil times, I boil less vigorously for 60 min.  I could use 3.5kw but I opt to reduce to 2kw. The result is a less concentrated wort (lower OG), greater end of boil volume, but also a noticeably lighter color (less Maillard reaction).

In our new book, I talk about 20 min. mash and 20 min. boil.  Works for me.

I’ve brewed several batches using the same grist and mash schedule. My data consistently showed ~70% of SG at 20 min, ~85% at 40 min, ~92% at 60 min, and ~99%  at 80 min. I reached 100% SG at 90 min (because I was done LOL). I guest other systems get different numbers and a simple additional amount of grain or other fermentables can remedy any discrepancy between desired SG in the kettle and resulting mash SG. Of course YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:39:20 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2019, 04:08:42 pm »
Like BrewBama I find the key is a gentler boil.

I go 60 minutes too, very very gentle.  Just a bare simmer, enough to give good circulation, lid on except for a mere crack, until the last 15 minutes.  Then the lid comes off and the heat goes up some to keep it circulating well.

But the index of thermal loading is really evaporation I think.  The difference I've seen in wort quality between under 60, gentle, and about 6% evaporation, and any process giving 10% or more evaporation, is night and day.  And the impact on beer quality and stability tracks also.  Advantages in flavor and aroma, foam, all sorts of things.

So boil length isn't the real thing, it's total thermal loading. Think the area under the time/temperature curve on a graph.  You do need some time to utilize hops, and you need good circulation to coagulate protein.   
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.