Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain-like bitterness  (Read 3251 times)

Offline watakooo

• 1st Kit
Grain-like bitterness
« on: May 03, 2019, 06:02:09 am »
I brewed my first beer by BIAB method last month.
But I felt grain-like bitterness, probably derived from malt, and it was little bit unconformable for me.

What are possible causes for that kind of flavor?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Grain-like bitterness
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 07:03:27 am »
I brewed my first beer by BIAB method last month.
But I felt grain-like bitterness, probably derived from malt, and it was little bit unconformable for me.

What are possible causes for that kind of flavor?
Dark roast malts will taste bitter, especially if used to excess.
Another flavor that is confused with bitterness is from tannins.  It is more like biting grape skin and less like bitterness.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 11:32:18 am »
Knowing more about your recipe and process would help answer the question.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline watakooo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:31:00 pm »
Thank you for your reply, jeffy and rburrelli!
Sorry, my expression was not quite right.
It's difficult to express precisely, but it was unintended and little bit unpleasant crispiness, probably derived from malt.
I wanted to brew hop-forward American Pale ale.
I'd like to write a summary of my recipe and ingredients in another reply.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:42:31 pm by watakooo »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 11:02:14 pm »
I agree with Jeffy, it sounds to me like you could be getting tannins.

Check your mash pH -- keep it below about 5.8 if you are doing any kind of sparge (ie, rinsing off that massive BIAB grain bag to get more sugars out).  Your mash should normally be down at 5.1-5.3, but it will naturally rise during sparging.  If you are doing the BIAB in your whole volume, ensure you keep that pH down, or you are sure to extract tannins.

Its also possible if your mill is shredding the hell out of the grain husks, but this is unlikely with a decent mill nowadays. 
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline watakooo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 02:03:25 am »
Ingredients and a process is as below.

Ingredients
   malt; pale malt(73%), crystal malt (7%), wheat malt(20%)
                hop; Citra 23.7g
    yeast; English Ale yeast 2g
Brewing method
   3L BIAB
Brewing process
   mash at 67 - 70℃ for 60min
   boil without adding hops for 60min
   add hop 15min after boiling, cover and wait for 15min
    cool in an iced water until it gets about 30℃
   transfer liquid to fermentator
   add yeast, wait for 10min, shake it, wait for 10min, shake it
   fermentation at 18℃-22℃ for 2 weeks
   add sanitized priming sugar 22ml (21g glucose/300ml water)
   second fermentation in a bottle for 2 weeks

Offline watakooo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 02:10:08 am »
I agree with Jeffy, it sounds to me like you could be getting tannins.

Check your mash pH -- keep it below about 5.8 if you are doing any kind of sparge (ie, rinsing off that massive BIAB grain bag to get more sugars out).  Your mash should normally be down at 5.1-5.3, but it will naturally rise during sparging.  If you are doing the BIAB in your whole volume, ensure you keep that pH down, or you are sure to extract tannins.

Its also possible if your mill is shredding the hell out of the grain husks, but this is unlikely with a decent mill nowadays.

Thank you for your reply.
I did squeeze a grain bag by hand instead of rinsing, but pH was below 5.0 at the beginning of boil process.
But very helpful information for me.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 06:50:39 pm »
When you say "grain like bitterness" I think of herbstoff aka grain bitterness which is caused by oxidation.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 07:38:23 pm »
When you say "grain like bitterness" I think of herbstoff aka grain bitterness which is caused by oxidation.
i know what it tastes like these days. Often pick it out in locally brewed German beers, Kolsch and Pils for example.

My wife, who has a great palate, seems to be blind to it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 08:20:48 pm »
i know what it tastes like these days. Often pick it out in locally brewed German beers, Kolsch and Pils for example.

I missed it as well for a great portion of my beer drinking life, just assuming it was some sort of hop derived bitter flavor. Now that I know what it is, makes it really hard to ignore. Maybe one would be better off not knowing/tasting it was there.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 10:31:45 pm »

Damn.  Now I gotta figure out exactly what this herbstoff thing is.

Like when I learned what THP tastes like. That grainy cheerios flavor that I thought complimented the graininess?  Drinking (some) sours isn't quite the same any more.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:34:03 pm by santoch »
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

The Beerery

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 09:21:14 am »

Damn.  Now I gotta figure out exactly what this herbstoff thing is.

Like when I learned what THP tastes like. That grainy cheerios flavor that I thought complimented the graininess?  Drinking (some) sours isn't quite the same any more.

It's from HSA. So its literally in every beer that isn't brewing in a low oxygen brewhouse. It will not be in European Macro brews.

Offline Jayjay1976

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 10:08:35 am »
I also BIAB and have been struggling with this grainy flavor as well and have been trying (unsuccessfully as of yet) to pinpoint the cause. Along the way I've begun building starters, I now ferment with temp control, bought an RO filter and have learned basic water chemistry, and recently began monitoring pH but the taste is still there. My next move is to open up the gap in my mill just a bit to see if my current (tightest) setting is creating excessive husk particulate. Probably should have started there since the flavor to me seems almost obviously a husk issue.

If all else fails I'll start reading about HSA, but to be honest, none of the guys I brew with make any effort at that and I don't taste any of this phantom grainy flavor in any of their beers. My beers have had it to a greater or lesser extent for so long that I have thought about brewing a few extract kits to see if I still get it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 10:14:22 am »
I also BIAB and have been struggling with this grainy flavor as well and have been trying (unsuccessfully as of yet) to pinpoint the cause. Along the way I've begun building starters, I now ferment with temp control, bought an RO filter and have learned basic water chemistry, and recently began monitoring pH but the taste is still there. My next move is to open up the gap in my mill just a bit to see if my current (tightest) setting is creating excessive husk particulate. Probably should have started there since the flavor to me seems almost obviously a husk issue.

If all else fails I'll start reading about HSA, but to be honest, none of the guys I brew with make any effort at that and I don't taste any of this phantom grainy flavor in any of their beers. My beers have had it to a greater or lesser extent for so long that I have thought about brewing a few extract kits to see if I still get it.

Could be trhe malt you're using.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 10:23:11 am »

Could be trhe malt you're using.

Beat me to it Denny. It is an ingredient issue I would think.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”