Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lemondrop Hops  (Read 4163 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Lemondrop Hops
« on: May 07, 2019, 03:35:05 pm »
I'm want to change my hops selection on a couple of my beers, specifically my Kolsch and Cream Ale. I've been using Mandarina Bavarian alone with the Kolsch and Mandarina and German Magnum for the Cream Ale. I like to brew the same recipe over and over until I feel comfortable that I have dialed it in and feel that I'm getting repeatable results along with favorable feedback.

With that being said, has anyone used Lemondrop alone and in conjunction with other hops? If so, which hops? What styles do you like/dislike when using this hops.

Cheers!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Lemondrop Hops
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 04:36:06 pm »
I've used them in a blend in some contemporary American Pilsners.  Been a couple of years, so I checked my notes.  Interestingly, when I substituted Centennial in the blend, I found the lemon note more pronounced, despite Lemondrop's name.  But the lemon character from Lemondrop was more of fruit and less of rind than Centennial.   I suspect they'd play well in the styles you mention.  I recall they struck me as more "European" than I'd expected from a daughter of Cascade.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 12:14:50 pm »
I stopped experimenting with hops in my cream ale once I used Lemondrop. it's all I use now and is so popular with friends and family that I can hardly keep it in stock. I'm brewing another 10 gallon batch tomorrow.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 01:15:48 pm »
I stopped experimenting with hops in my cream ale once I used Lemondrop. it's all I use now and is so popular with friends and family that I can hardly keep it in stock. I'm brewing another 10 gallon batch tomorrow.

Mind sharing the recipe?  I like recipes from brewer’s who’ve found a keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 03:50:24 pm »

Thats good to know!
Let me ask you, what are your IBU's?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 06:32:33 pm »
I've never used lemondrop, but it sounds like it would work well in a lemon-rosemary blonde ale that I brew every once in a while.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 06:47:26 pm »
Here's a pretty good description and assessment

https://www.hopsteiner.com/variety-data-sheets/Lemondrop/
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 07:00:57 am »
I particularly like Lemondrop hops in combination with El Dorado; great citrus/tropical fruit combination. You could brew anything from a Pale Ale to an IPA to a NEIPA just by varying the amounts and timing of the hop additions.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 11:28:52 am »
My wife uses Citra and Lemondrop together in her session IPA, er pale ale. It has a very noticeable citrus/lemon flavor to it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Pelican Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 12:28:21 pm »
I used Lemondrop as a keg addition to an American Wheat 2 oz and it was fantastic.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 10:45:07 am »

Thats good to know!

I created my recipe based on general guidelines that Curt Stock gave during a Beersmith video podcast a while back....
- 80% base malt... I use 2-row
- 20% corn or a combination of corn and rice... I use flaked maize and flaked rice - when I use rice that is.
- No more than 20 IBU's is the suggestion. I've gone anywhere from 16 to 20 and 20 IBU's balances well.
- Wyeast 1056 is the one item that Curt specifically says to use. He said he's made this with many different yeasts and the 1056 is the one he says finished the cleanest. I have taken his word on that and it's all I've used in my cream ale.
- 1.050 to 1.052 OG is about as high as you want to go... I try to keep mine at 1.047 to 1.051. The ABV will come out to around 5% or a bit less which works well for a summer time drinker.
- Curt recommends to mash on the low side... I go 148° to 150°.
I forget what he said for the SRM but my recent batch came out to be about 3 SRM. It's a very nice pale straw color.

Hope that helps.
- Plato

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 10:57:57 am »
Thank you. I’ll have to try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 04:35:44 am »

Thats good to know!

I created my recipe based on general guidelines that Curt Stock gave during a Beersmith video podcast a while back....
- 80% base malt... I use 2-row
- 20% corn or a combination of corn and rice... I use flaked maize and flaked rice - when I use rice that is.
- No more than 20 IBU's is the suggestion. I've gone anywhere from 16 to 20 and 20 IBU's balances well.
- Wyeast 1056 is the one item that Curt specifically says to use. He said he's made this with many different yeasts and the 1056 is the one he says finished the cleanest. I have taken his word on that and it's all I've used in my cream ale.
- 1.050 to 1.052 OG is about as high as you want to go... I try to keep mine at 1.047 to 1.051. The ABV will come out to around 5% or a bit less which works well for a summer time drinker.
- Curt recommends to mash on the low side... I go 148° to 150°.
I forget what he said for the SRM but my recent batch came out to be about 3 SRM. It's a very nice pale straw color.

Hope that helps.

My recipe is similar but I throw a little flaked oats in mine and use W-34/70 lager yeast. I've always used lager yeast but maybe I'll try 1056 one day.

Thanks Kevin.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 08:06:33 am »
For those who have had good results with Lemondrop Hops: Are you using it primarily at the end for flavor, or are you using it to bitter as well?
Sounds like this hop would be a nice addition to a summer wheat beer.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 09:04:13 am »
I use Lemondrop at 60 minutes and another shot at about 12 - 15 minutes. Targeting an IBU around 20. However once I got overzealous and Beersmith says I hit 30 IBU but it wasn't bad at all.
- Plato