Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rice hulls  (Read 1189 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Rice hulls
« on: September 26, 2019, 06:19:04 pm »
I purchased a 800 pound sack(figuratively) of rice hulls about a year ago. They are kept in a cool basement at 45%rh, sealed tight in the original material. WTBS, how long can one expect to keep these without problems?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Rice hulls
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 06:23:48 pm »
Maybe forever? I just used the last of my bag that were maybe 4 years old.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 07:18:45 am »
I had some that were way older than Jeff's, maybe 8 years or so old in a sealed bag and they were still fine when I used them.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 07:25:16 am »
I rescued an entire unopened sack (50 pounds?) from the dumpster outside my local homebrew supply store at least seven or eight years ago and still have over half a sack even after sharing with all my friends.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 07:33:16 am »
I rescued an entire unopened sack (50 pounds?) from the dumpster outside my local homebrew supply store at least seven or eight years ago and still have over half a sack even after sharing with all my friends.

That is a lot of rice hulls, Jeffy!  I was at my LHBS the other day and one of the guys there was buying a 50# bag of them.  He said that he uses a lot of them, ya think?  I don't think I could use that much in a lifetime!  ;D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 07:59:02 am »

That is a lot of rice hulls, Jeffy!  I was at my LHBS the other day and one of the guys there was buying a 50# bag of them.  He said that he uses a lot of them, ya think?  I don't think I could use that much in a lifetime!  ;D
I call it a lifetime supply.  Same with my 16 ounce bottle of Fermcap S.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 08:33:30 am »

I call it a lifetime supply.  Same with my 16 ounce bottle of Fermcap S.
Ooh, I want a 16 oz bottle of Fermcap S!  I've just come into 2L of Sinamar, and a significant supply of Whirlfloc,  BrewTan B, and Polyclar, and enough zinc sulfate heptahydrate to last several lifetimes.  I am now committed to brewing into my 90s. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 09:04:20 am »
I've got a qt. of Fermcap in my fridge.  I haven't used it in 8 years, so I guess that's more than a lifetime supply!  Same with rice hulls...I don't need than, so the lb. I've got will last forever!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 12:57:15 pm »
Not sure how I came about having that many pounds but by the sound of it I'm good for at least 7 more years!!
Now I just might start looking at some other items laying around the brewery and fridge! LOL!!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 11:19:16 am »
   I could easily go through quite a few #s of hulls in a year -  if they weren't so freaking expensive, it chaps my @ss to have to pay as much per pound for what is essentially a waste byproduct as I pay for brewing grains.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 01:25:05 pm »

That is a lot of rice hulls, Jeffy!

I've ordered it by the pallet many times before!  ;)