Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maybe a Screw up  (Read 967 times)

Offline Daniel Penney

• 1st Kit
Maybe a Screw up
« on: May 11, 2019, 06:28:42 am »
So I did something stupid. I put my yeast in freezer. Ya I know. I took it out and had it in fridge weeks before I used it. I pitched it Sunday. Wel Mo/Tu no activity. Wednesday rolls around and she’s going good. Still to this day.  I’ve got a another yeast I could pitch in. Should I?  Or do yall think I’m fine?

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Maybe a Screw up
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 06:52:31 am »
Likely will end up OK. 48 hour lag phase is a little long but it sounds like the yeast have adapted to the environment and should be able to do their job.  Just watch and see what happens for now.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 07:34:25 am »
Liquid or dry yeast?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Daniel Penney

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:37:20 am »

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 08:11:52 am »
Dry wouldn't have been affected,  but freezing the liquid yeast probably noticably reduced the number of viable cells.  So you you had a longer lag while the remaining ones grew up their numbers.   For now, it's fermenting, and everything may be fine.   I'd wait and see.  Only if the fermentation stalls, or underattenuates,  you might want to consider pitching some more yeast -- preferably a starter at high kräusen -- to finish the job.  RDWHAHB.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 06:02:31 am »
It sounds like the remaining viable yeast may be very strained and, like Robert pointed out, the numbers were no doubt low.  The result maybe an ester bomb.  My suggestion is to let the fermentation go as far as it will, then take a reading and taste the brew.  From their you can decide what to do.  Meantime, you’re in it for the long haul.  So sit back and relax.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉