Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Induction Cooktop for Decoction?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
Induction Cooktop for Decoction?
« on: June 19, 2019, 07:34:10 pm »
Setting up an electric brewery in the basement and just thought about how I'm going to do decoctions when desired. I brew 5-gallon batches and so I thought maybe a portable induction cooktop would fit the bill.

I'm looking at an 1800 W induction cooktop and a 12 Qt. stainless pot with a 6010-clad bottom suitable for induction cooking. I figure the 3-gallon pot not only would fit the cooktop real well, but also would hold enough to do a decoction for a 5-gallon batch assuming I'd never pull more than, say, 2.5 gallons of thick mash. And 1800 W should be sufficient to raise the temperature of the decoction to its rest temperature, then bring it up to a boil pretty quickly.

Has anyone done this, and what are your thoughts?
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Induction Cooktop for Decoction?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 08:22:43 pm »
I’ve not done a decoction on my induction cooktop, but I can say that I boil ~7 - 7.5 gal collected sweet wort with 2 - 2.4kw. Based on this I believe your 1.8kw unit should handle 2.5 gal easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 05:52:14 am »
Induction is great for decoction. The heat it produces is so even and mellow, you don't even need to stir, at least on my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AleGeek

• 1st Kit
    • Elemental Ales
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 08:20:32 pm »
I can vouch for an induction cooktop working for decoction. I brewed on an 1800w cooktop for yrs & it can bring 3.5gal of wort to a rolling boil no problem. I only did one decoction mash to try it. Induction provided great control & brought it to boil fast w/o burning.

The only tip I have is if you are taking any temp readings w/ a metal thermometer in the decoction while the cooktop is on, it throws the temp reading (digital & analog thermometers, I tested both). 3 batches in a row when down the drain because I was multi-step BIAB mashing & taking temp readings that I discovered later were upwards of 10 degrees off because of the cooktop.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 08:47:00 am »
The only tip I have is if you are taking any temp readings w/ a metal thermometer in the decoction while the cooktop is on, it throws the temp reading (digital & analog thermometers, I tested both). 3 batches in a row when down the drain because I was multi-step BIAB mashing & taking temp readings that I discovered later were upwards of 10 degrees off because of the cooktop.

I’ve never heard that before^^^

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:41:17 am »

I’ve never heard that before^^^

True. Metal that is magnetic in the thermometer will give bad readings.

11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 06:36:26 am »
Begs the question; Is there a thermometer that won't go bonkers when used with an induction cooktop?
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 08:01:51 am »
Just use my Chef’s Alarm.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Induction Cooktop for Decoction?
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 08:43:06 am »
The Fermentap one I have works fine. Not sure why.