Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider Question?  (Read 766 times)

Offline Dortiz

• 1st Kit
Cider Question?
« on: May 14, 2019, 10:49:26 pm »
if you have 2 ciders fermenting, one is a 5 gallon carboy finished at 1.008and the other is in the one gallon bottle that it was in from the store and it has finished at 1.010 can I mix them together in my secondary. Also is it necessary to do a secondary and then rack a 3rd time and let it age for 3 months or can you skip the 3rd racking. Also I'm going to be kegging my cider so would that be basically be my 3rd racking anyways?
Thanks in advance!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Cider Question?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:21:52 am »
It's your cider.  Do what you like, and drink it when it tastes good.  You are correct that racking into a keg counts as a racking.  It should be safe to blend two finished ciders, especially if they used the same yeast (did they have same yeast pitched?).  But if kegging then most definitely safe.

Enjoy.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 05:52:41 am »
It's your cider.  Do what you like, and drink it when it tastes good.  You are correct that racking into a keg counts as a racking.  It should be safe to blend two finished ciders, especially if they used the same yeast (did they have same yeast pitched?).  But if kegging then most definitely safe.

Enjoy.  :)

+1 to that!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Dortiz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:13:38 am »
Yes I used the same yeast for both of them. Thanks for answering my question.  :D