Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Return...  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: A Return...
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 07:39:43 am »
The smack packs just tell you the yeast is alive and well, enough to justify if multiple packs could be used in lieu of a starter.

I used Mark's SNS start method exlusively, but still hated doing it. My dislike of starters likely isn't the most rational thing in the world, but it's still what caused me to cancel brew days more than anything else.

What also might help is that this time I'm not trying to be a production brewery, I still intend to buy most of what I consume. Meaning, I can brew when I feel like it, rather than when the beer is running low.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 08:43:57 am »
I think my idea of simple isn't what it is for others...

The big thing I won't be doing is yeast work. I want to avoid starters, I've come to realize I hate making them with a passion. Yeast are more a means to an end than a rabbit hole to me now, there's fun there but just more work than I intend to do.

I still intend to get clear wort into the kettle, and will be utilizing the 3-vessels of course. Will also do decoctions as well.

IOW, more brewing, less brewerania.

Oh, and no whacky hops either.

Whatever works for you is the right thing to do.  Make the best beer possible with the least effort possible while having the most fun possible.

Pretty much. Taking a break from brewing made me realize it's not the cleaning I hate as much as some of the prep work. Starters in particular. Suddenly have the itch to brew? Too bad, only White Labs on hand and you didn't make a starter the night before.

Going to be using Wyeast exclusively for liquid yeast, and I'm going to give dry yeast another shot. Still don't expect US-05 to be any good but I'll see what else I can find.

Keep in mind that you still need to make a starter with Wyeast unless your OG is 1.040 or less
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 08:47:48 am »

The big thing I won't be doing is yeast work. I want to avoid starters, I've come to realize I hate making them with a passion. Yeast are more a means to an end than a rabbit hole to me now, there's fun there but just more work than I intend to do.

I still intend to get clear wort into the kettle, and will be utilizing the 3-vessels of course. Will also do decoctions as well.

Whatever works for you is the right thing to do.  Make the best beer possible with the least effort possible while having the most fun possible.

Pretty much. Taking a break from brewing made me realize it's not the cleaning I hate as much as some of the prep work. Starters in particular. Suddenly have the itch to brew? Too bad, only White Labs on hand and you didn't make a starter the night before.

Going to be using Wyeast exclusively for liquid yeast, and I'm going to give dry yeast another shot. Still don't expect US-05 to be any good but I'll see what else I can find.

Keep in mind that you still need to make a starter with Wyeast unless your OG is 1.040 or less
Or pitch extra packs.  A starter is nice for having freshly grown yeast, but if you really don't want to do it and don't mind buying extra yeast...  your relaxation and spontaneity is probably worth the $7 or $8.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 09:30:58 am »

Or pitch extra packs.  A starter is nice for having freshly grown yeast, but if you really don't want to do it and don't mind buying extra yeast...  your relaxation and spontaneity is probably worth the $7 or $8.

Agreed.  It just one of those things I forget about since I've never done it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 10:05:30 am »
   I wonder Phil why you so dislike US-05. From personal experience and from yeast discussions I've had with most of the commercial brewers I know, 05 may just be the most reliable, versatile and bulletproof yeast around. Granted that it's not much good if you're looking for esters, funk or other yeast produced flavors. I also don't get the disdain for dry yeast in general so many folks have, other that is than the limited variety available.
   Living in MD you probably don't have this problem, but here in extreme BFE unless I pay a bunch extra for expedited shipping [overnight here means 3-4 days] the yeast is in transit for at least a week, and about 40% of the time is DOA. The Kolsch I planned to brew yesterday wound up being something unplanned and completely different [after of course the grain was already milled] when the smackpak of WY2565 proved to be a dud, the same thing happened the last time I tried to brew a Kolsch. For some reason, paying as much for the yeast to do a brew as the grain cost me offends my frugal sensibilities.

I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 02:45:10 pm »
We are fortunate that there is such a wide array of equipment, ingredients and techniques available to homebrewers and for most of the country a really good mix of available craft beer that there is very little reason to make your brewing feel like a chore--minus necessary cleaning and sanitation.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 06:33:52 pm »
I used a package of Imperial Bell's House strain. 200 billion cells, fresh, into 5.5 gallons of 1.056 OG. Took off like a champ. $12 for twice the yeast, no starter.

Edit - AHA discount is 10% there, so $10.80.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:37:44 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 08:59:35 pm »

Agreed.  It just one of those things I forget about since I've never done it.
I also habitually just buy one pack and grow up what I need.  I repitch, so the propagation process is a relatively rare event I somehow both dread, and enjoy, on occasion. (Chance to play with my stir plate, Denny!)  But it occurs to me that the illuminating analogy here is the big brewery that maintains a lab and propagation plant, versus the small brewery that just purchases a ready pitch from Wyeast or  White Labs or whoever or (increasingly  common) just uses dry yeast as a first pitch.   So even the pros are often deciding to outsource the fiddly messing-with-yeast stuff.  Just doesn't make economic sense for some to do it in house, no real benefit conferred, and Phil_M has clearly come to the parallel conclusion.  Those of us who do our own yeast wrangling likely just find it one of the elements of the hobby that enchant us.  If that's not you, don't subject yourself to it.  It's a hobby.  (And yeah, this is coming from a guy who's a poster child for those who tend to lose sight of that last bit.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:07:15 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 05:30:53 pm »
Yeast wrangling was part of the hobby I enjoyed, though in the end it turned out that while culturing yeast up from storage was fun, it wasn't when I combined it with brewing.

As for US-05, I've never had luck with it. Peachy flavors, lack of flavors...it's never worked for me. Combine that with a general apathy to anything like 1056/WLP001, and why bother? Works for some, sure, but isn't my thing.

My intent is to use multiple packs/larger pitch options. If I'm brewing occasionally, and for fun, what's another $10 per batch?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.