Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Foamy yeast starter  (Read 1859 times)

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
Foamy yeast starter
« on: May 17, 2019, 08:46:04 am »
I've never seen this in 6 years of making starters. After 30 plus hours in the fridge, my starter still has about 1/4" of foam on the top.
I used a 3 liter flask to make 2 liters of Imperial Flagship yeast. I boiled water in a pristine clean flask the night before, covered with foil and let it cool overnight. Then I added 2 cans of Propper Starter (I've used this 4 times before) and noticed it was foamy but the starter kicked off fast (it is Imperial after all). 24 hours later, I cold crashed. There was foam but not the type you see in krausen. It's been in the fridge, smells and looks fine otherwise.
So, RDWHAHB?

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Foamy yeast starter
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 05:46:26 am »
Interesting phenomenon.  What is: RDWHAHB?
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 06:56:27 am »
Interesting phenomenon.  What is: RDWHAHB?
Charlie Papazian's old mantra: Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 08:55:44 pm »
Ah!  I see. I’m reading his book and see that statement a lot, but never put it together. Thanks Robert!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 05:07:52 am »
I've never seen this in 6 years of making starters. After 30 plus hours in the fridge, my starter still has about 1/4" of foam on the top.
I used a 3 liter flask to make 2 liters of Imperial Flagship yeast. I boiled water in a pristine clean flask the night before, covered with foil and let it cool overnight. Then I added 2 cans of Propper Starter (I've used this 4 times before) and noticed it was foamy but the starter kicked off fast (it is Imperial after all). 24 hours later, I cold crashed. There was foam but not the type you see in krausen. It's been in the fridge, smells and looks fine otherwise.
So, RDWHAHB?

Yup. RDWHAHB. I've never used Proper Starter but when I've made starters in the past I've had this happen. For some reason some foam just hung on. You should be fine. Especially if it smells and looks good.
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 06:41:10 pm »
...  24 hours later, I cold crashed.

It sounds like the starter wasn't finished, but I don't know if that matters.

I stir my starters on and off depending on their activity level, and find that it usually takes about 36 hours for them to finish. Then I crash them. But like I said, I don't know if it matters.
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 04:29:06 pm »
I actually kegged this beer today after only 14 days. It over attenuated but still ok. The starter was, as expected, perfectly fine. 
I really don't enjoy beer so young but it's kegged and will be sitting there for 2 weeks to condition.
It's all good!