Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Selecting Apple Juice for Making Hard Cider: Lead, Mercury and Arsenic, Oh My!  (Read 1229 times)

Offline daniel_cerveza

• Cellarman
Here's a quick post on recent Consumer Reports findings about toxic heavy metals in some store-bought apple juices.  Perhaps something to think about when choosing a store-bought apple juice for cider making purposes: 

http://www.beersyndicate.com/blog/selecting-apple-juice-making-hard-cider-lead-mercury-arsenic-oh/

Cheers-

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I'm lucky that I press my own juice from my organically grown apples.  Not everyone has that option, so that's good info.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
I use Mott's.  Have a cider entry in the finals this year too.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Here's a quick post on recent Consumer Reports findings about toxic heavy metals in some store-bought apple juices.  Perhaps something to think about when choosing a store-bought apple juice for cider making purposes: 

http://www.beersyndicate.com/blog/selecting-apple-juice-making-hard-cider-lead-mercury-arsenic-oh/

Well that sucks.  Don't drink too much of it then I guess.

I get all my juice locally.  Not certain what pesticides they use, hopefully safe ones.

Bottom line is we're all gonna die, whether it's from cider, or from something else.  But... my bet is it will be something else.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
You will get some cyanide too!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!