Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Can't comment without a Facebook account !!???!!  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Can't comment without a Facebook account !!???!!
« on: May 18, 2019, 02:26:56 pm »
I was reading the article on dimethyl sulfide off-flavor that is featured on the AHA home page today. I spotted an error and wanted to point it out in the comment section, but the only way to comment is to log in with a Facebook account. I am a member of the AHA with an AHA online account, but I can't use that to comment. I need to have a stinking Facebook account! Talk about leaving me with an off-flavor!!!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Can't comment without a Facebook account !!???!!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 03:01:55 pm »
+1
Never had a FB account, never will, absolutely refuse to, but am a proud, paid AHA member and should be allowed to fully participate.  Really hacks me off too.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 05:25:34 pm »
Same here.  I REFUSE to get a Facebook account
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 10:24:33 am »
  I finally was forced to a while back in order to accomplish something I needed to get done - can't remember exactly what, but it's under a false name and uses a junk email account I keep for just such things. I still don't have clue how to use Fakebook, and I have zero desire to learn.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 11:27:34 am »
  I finally was forced to a while back in order to accomplish something I needed to get done - can't remember exactly what, but it's under a false name and uses a junk email account I keep for just such things. I still don't have clue how to use Fakebook, and I have zero desire to learn.
I've heard of people doing that.  But to me, this is different.  AHA is something I regularly, openly, and proudly associate myself with, and willingly pay my dues.  I'd like to participate in its community, activities and services directly without having to go through another, unrelated association I don't otherwise wish to participate in, or under a false identity.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 11:43:46 am »
I'll check tomorrow and see what the deal is.  It shouldn't be be like that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 08:09:56 am »
I don't understand why some people are so resistant to using social media. It's a tool. Nothing more. What if a mechanic ran up against a stuck lug nut and you handed him an air impact wrench and he said "I refuse to use it!"
You wouldn't think much of that mechanic would you?
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:59 am »
I don't understand why some people are so resistant to using social media. It's a tool. Nothing more. What if a mechanic ran up against a stuck lug nut and you handed him an air impact wrench and he said "I refuse to use it!"
You wouldn't think much of that mechanic would you?

I agree with you, but I understand their choice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 08:27:43 am »
Hey everyone-

Thanks for the feedback on our commenting system for HomebrewersAssociation.org! A lot has changed (especially with Facebook and its users) since we moved to the Facebook commenting system 6 years ago. The good news is we are gearing up to rework the website starting later this year and I will definitely be making a note to reassess the commenting system on HomebrewersAssociation.org articles.

I'm curious... would folks be more open to using a Google/Gmail account, which has become more the standard than Facebook?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cheers,
Duncan

PS: Also, feel free to send me that error :) duncan@brewersassociation.org
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 08:31:31 am »
I'd welcome an option to use a Google/Gmail account.  That's what I use for everything else.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 08:35:17 am »
I'd welcome an option to use a Google/Gmail account.  That's what I use for everything else.

Yeah, that's definitely what I'm using more and more when 3rd party account verification is an option.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 09:26:44 am »
I've heard of people doing that.  But to me, this is different.  AHA is something I regularly, openly, and proudly associate myself with, and willingly pay my dues.  I'd like to participate in its community, activities and services directly without having to go through another, unrelated association I don't otherwise wish to participate in, or under a false identity.

Understood and I agree with you, but I'm a Luddite who still uses a flip-phone so I'm used to being a second class citizen in a world that just assumes everyone has and loves their smartphone. That is the same world that also assumes everyone should love social media.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 09:32:59 am »

Yeah, that's definitely what I'm using more and more when 3rd party account verification is an option.
But this still begs the question:  if one is already logged in to the website with their user ID and password, which is necessary to access some content, why isn't that sufficient to leave a comment?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 09:39:02 am »

But this still begs the question:  if one is already logged in to the website with their user ID and password, which is necessary to access some content, why isn't that sufficient to leave a comment?

Exactly! I have other accounts, but I don't see why I need to use them.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 09:50:53 am »
The good news is we are gearing up to rework the website starting later this year and I will definitely be making a note to reassess the commenting system on HomebrewersAssociation.org articles.
And please do not destroy the existing discussion boards as part of the transition to the new web site.

The forum will not be going anywhere!