Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Changing color from gold to dark  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Samarcosa

• 1st Kit
Changing color from gold to dark
« on: June 11, 2019, 11:43:41 am »
I got a Patersbeer all grain ,the golden color in the Primary went into the Secondary and in 24 hours it turned completely black.  I used a plastic bucket for  the primary formation and transfer  to the carboy.
Does anybody knows what happened ? Is the batch contaminated ?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Changing color from gold to dark
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 11:52:47 am »
Do you think it is oxidized?  Transferring (racking) from one vessel to another comes with the risk of oxidation. Give it a taste and see what you think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 11:59:11 am »
Completely black?  I can't think of any natural cause for that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 11:59:35 am »
Do you think it is oxidized?  Transferring (racking) from one vessel to another comes with the risk of oxidation. Give it a taste and see what you think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That wouldn't make it completely black, though.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 01:33:25 pm »
I think it encountered something in the transfer process that caused a chemical reaction - starches and iodophor?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 01:53:10 pm »
I think it encountered something in the transfer process that caused a chemical reaction - starches and iodophor?
That was my first thought, but it would take an awful lot of both starch and iodine to color that much liquid black.  Doesn't seem possible.   I wonder if the description of the color could be clarified.   Does the OP really mean black, like Guinness, or just somewhat dark?  Could be a language issue.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 02:59:21 pm »
I wonder if the description of the color could be clarified.   Does the OP really mean black, like Guinness, or just somewhat dark?

Agreement on this.  I ran a couple searches online and one of the most common things mentioned was a large sediment drop after moving the beer to secondary, and the beer appearing darker afterward.

The beer can also look darker in a carboy where not much light is getting through due to the volume.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 03:01:10 pm by joe_meadmaker »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 05:46:34 am »
This really just sounds like looking at the fermenting beer and seeing the yeast in sediment in suspension and then seeing the sediment drop out. It will always look darker once the milky-white sediment drops out and the beer begins to clear. Take a sample in a small glass and analyze the color that way. RDWHAHB!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 09:38:05 am »
I agree with majorvices. Think of the color difference before pitching the yeast and when fermentation is in full swing. Once most of the particulate matter drops out the appearance changes dramatically. This is especially noticeable in dark beers. Keep in mind that the beer will look much lighter once you get it into a glass.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 10:57:07 am »
I agree with majorvices. Think of the color difference before pitching the yeast and when fermentation is in full swing. Once most of the particulate matter drops out the appearance changes dramatically. This is especially noticeable in dark beers. Keep in mind that the beer will look much lighter once you get it into a glass.
This really just sounds like looking at the fermenting beer and seeing the yeast in sediment in suspension and then seeing the sediment drop out. It will always look darker once the milky-white sediment drops out and the beer begins to clear. Take a sample in a small glass and analyze the color that way. RDWHAHB!

Yes, darkening in bulk versus in a pint glass versus a narrower glass is likely what occurred here, but "black"?  That is what threw me....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 11:52:05 am »

Yes, darkening in bulk versus in a pint glass versus a narrower glass is likely what occurred here, but "black"?  That is what threw me....

Yep.  There's lots of stuff that will cause a beer to darken, but I can't think of any that will make it turn black.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 05:48:40 pm »
Never did get the OP back to close the loop. Wonder what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk