Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast for a Belgian Stout - Think Black Albert  (Read 881 times)

Offline Joe Seitz

• 1st Kit
Yeast for a Belgian Stout - Think Black Albert
« on: May 20, 2019, 08:06:01 pm »
I don't know if this fits in Recipes or here, I am betting here since it is really a yeast question.
We have a BIG Stout recipe (cross between Yeti and Expedition) and have messed around with the hops.  Now, with a Fuggle version, I am looking for some of that complexity and stone fruit flavors found in Belgium.  I want to go with Wyeast 3787 but am a bit worried it may just come out BAD (a poor quad or really weird stout too high in phenolics).  Has anybody chased this before?  Would something more traditional like Wyeast 1084 (at higher temps) produce a more balanced result?  What have you tried and liked?  Or maybe more importantly, what have you tried and NOT liked?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:08:49 pm by Joe Seitz »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast for a Belgian Stout - Think Black Albert
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 08:30:25 am »
I think 3787 fermented in the low-mid 60s would be great.  As would 1762.  1388 if you want something a bit cleaner.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell