Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing for My Wedding Project  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Reuben Gottlieb

• 1st Kit
Brewing for My Wedding Project
« on: November 19, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »
Hey all!

Unfortunately, my wedding venue isn't allowing me to serve homebrew at the actual party. However, they are allowing me to serve my groomsmen, father, future father-in-law and uncles before the wedding. I will also be able to provide homebrew at the post-wedding party at the hotel.

My question to you all is, how do you go about brewing a beer that will be fun to design, brew and work on for the next 9 months? I want this beer to be for the masses but I also want it to be a beer I want to work on and feel proud that I made.

My plan right now is to brew a Saison that has some Brettanomyces. I don't have temperature control capabilities in my small apartment, so since the wedding is in August, I only have so many options.

So far, my plan is to use Bootleg Biology's "Mad Fermentationist" Blend and dregs from my favorite sours and brett beers. I am trying to make my own "house culture" and I think it would be pretty cool to serve a beer that was made with dregs from my favorite beers.

I have a lot of juicy hops like Citra and Galaxy. Is going "juicy" the right approach?

I brewed my first test batch and so far am really enjoying it. I have only shared this with homebrewers at a local bottle share, and people seemed to enjoy it as well.

Malt:
Bohemian Pilsner: 65%
White Wheat: 21%
Flaked Wheat: 5%
Acid Malt: 3%
DME Wheat (For stater): 6%

Hops:
24.1 IBUs
Huell Mellon & Mandarina Bavaria

Additives:
Added an oak spiral

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Offline Tim Cline

• 1st Kit
Re: Brewing for My Wedding Project
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 09:17:03 pm »
Congrats on the engagement and the upcoming wedding!

I do not really have any feedback to give you on the recipe as that is not a style I brew very often. However, I just got married this past Saturday and all the beer we served was beer I brewed. A couple things we did that you might consider:
- If there are any beer lovers that you want to do something special for, consider brewing something specifically for them. The pastor that married us loves porters, stouts, and dark lagers. I brewed him a porter modeled after some of his favorites.
- We had a hotel block reserved for anyone who wanted to stay in town after the wedding. We gave every person who stayed at the hotel a gift basket with a bottle of each of the beers they would get at the wedding.

Everyone loved the beer and it was a huge success. It made the wedding more memorable and unique to us. I would highly recommend brewing for your wedding if at all possible.

If interested, these are the recipes and fermentation specs from the beers I served: https://timcline.github.io/homebrew/

Offline Reuben Gottlieb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 09:24:36 am »
Thank you for your well wishes!

I appreciate your insight. Perhaps, it is best I ask a few people what they would like to drink. Would be a shame to brew something that people won't drink.

Offline JosyPaigan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 02:47:33 pm »
I know this is an old topic but I want to make it on top, so more people could advise me something. Well, my mom has a wedding next month and I assist her with designing weddings and with music. She is 43 and I need some recommendations, which songs would you advise me to play at the wedding? She doesn't like rock, unfortunately. She likes pop, and I think I'll put some American and Spanish pop music. Unfortunately, my brother will not attend her wedding because of the pandemic and I thought about calling a wedding live streaming services. So, my brother and many other friends who can't be at my mom's wedding, could see it and support her even in that way.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 05:09:06 am by JosyPaigan »