Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hey Guitar Players...  (Read 31501 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hey Guitar Players...
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2009, 04:25:47 pm »
Eddie was not really a pioneer here... People had been doing it since the 50's

Really?  For reasons of pushing a guitar amp into overdrive?  Just curious, the "history of distortion" is interesting to me.

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2009, 04:41:36 pm »
Eddie was not really a pioneer here... People had been doing it since the 50's

Really?  For reasons of pushing a guitar amp into overdrive?  Just curious, the "history of distortion" is interesting to me.

Interesting to me as well... I have some good valve books around, but this is some good reading too. Nothing can come close to an overdriven valve!  :)

It is the difference between lets say,,, extract and all-grain??? :) :) :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(music)

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2009, 05:07:59 pm »
Wow, Lonnie Mack is a brewer?  I've seen that Flying V many times    ;D

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2009, 05:11:19 pm »
Ha! One of my ultimate guitar heros! I sometimes wish that they didn't call me Mac in the navy! It sticks like glue man...

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2009, 05:27:02 pm »
this thread has become toxic , I am staying away , Variacs vs. hot plates  , SS vs. Tube, distortion guitars in the 50's , next thing will be Fly VS Batch sparging , I am turning the light off... don't you boys stay up too late ,you have school tomorrow , and brush your teeth ! ....oh, and Mom says ....lift the seat .........good night  :D
Brewing up history

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2009, 05:36:12 pm »
Ha! And I can make the saltiest steak on earth too!!! :) :) :)...

Say my friend, brewhouse + music room..? Hummm... That sounds like something you should do!

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2009, 05:43:13 pm »
A lot of nice electric guitars and amps out there.  Anyone play acoustic music?  I'm a bluegrass player myself.

I play only on acoustics.  mostly some blues, old country and classic rock.  some original noise I find myself doing from time to time.  I like bluegrass, and sometimes I take a stab at some old Bill Monroe and the like.  I am not a touring musician, just enjoy it for myself and my family. 

I recently sold a gibson boseman custom shop jc185 in beautiful red.  My daily players so to speak are not as glamorous.  From left to right, the sigma guitar I got when I was 13, replacing the sears hobo job I had before it.  The fender I picked up from a distressed friend that plays very smooth and mellow, and another sigma I got from my dad when I graduated high school. 

The little amp is an ultrasound, I like it that it has no effects - and no artifacts either.  Good clean reproduction when paired with the fishman pickups on two of those guiatrs. 

I have a cheapy nylon string I leave out in the country as the heat and cold is kinda of gentle on the neck.  It's playable when I get out of the city. 

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
  • Well then... There you go...
    • Skotrats Homebrew Website
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2009, 06:27:22 pm »
Very pretty pieces

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
  • Well then... There you go...
    • Skotrats Homebrew Website
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2009, 09:35:04 am »
My Grand Father's 1927 Gibson L50

My Gibson SJ Deluxe:

Offline brookspn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2009, 05:56:36 pm »
As far as the tube v. SS thing is concerned, I think there is just a fundamental difference in the sound.  The general wisdom, as I see it, is that tube amps are a little warmer, offer a bit better response, and have a fuller sound when pushed into overdrive, all of which I believe to be true.  They also give a nice bell like sound on some of the older Fenders.  However, I think with the advances in SS amplification, it is a lot easier to emulate, if not duplicate, that tube sound without the added cost and weight.  For instance, I play though a Henrikson Jazz Amp when I'm playing my electric (2001 S.E. American Tele).  It's got great tone, great volume (I played with it the big band and could be heard on recordings just fine) and it only weighs 16#.  The question for me is this:  Why would I spend thousands of dollars more on an amp that has marginally superior tone and weighs 4 to 6 times what my current one weighs.

Although, for the record, it sure is hard to beat a 60's twin reverb and a Fender Strat.

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2009, 04:07:50 am »
Electrics:

Schecter Tempest Blackjack w/ stock Duncan JB/59
Mexi Tele that now has a 3 saddle vintage style bridge, GFS pickups...cheapest and most played guitar
SG Classic w/ P90s

Seagull Acoustic

Effects

Amp

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2009, 06:42:27 am »
k4df4l,

I like the Barber Direct Drive you've got on your board.  Is that an MXR Blue Box next to the Small Stone?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2009, 04:49:06 pm »
k4df4l,

I like the Barber Direct Drive you've got on your board.  Is that an MXR Blue Box next to the Small Stone?

That's a BYOC trem
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tremolo.html

My next move is to sell off the MD3 and replace it with a MXR Carbon Copy

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2009, 07:27:36 pm »
The carbon copy is a cool pedal.  I wouldn't mind picking one up.  I just got an Analogman ARDX20 Dual Analog Delay though, so I don't really need another analog delay at the moment.

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2009, 07:53:04 pm »
Ah PEDALS! I love em!

I only have a few. I have a few Z.vex pedals. I also have a MoFaux Vibe... This is probably one of the most favorite pedals I have had.