Author Topic: Hey Guitar Players...  (Read 12932 times)

Offline matthew

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Guitar Players...
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2009, 04:50:45 PM »
I really should clean this thing  :-[ Th only one I've got left and th one that's been with me th longest. Bought
it new in '83( 3-31-83). First year V series. I guess some of you folks have seen this thing. Dont play it much
anymore, but just in case I forget how I still got th instuction manual ;)

Hey folks!
Matthew
Well it hurts down here on Earth lord
It hurts down here on Earth
It hurts down here cause we're running out of beer
But we're all gonna die someday

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »
Man, Matt, that baby's broken in!  I bought my P bass new in 73.  At the time, I hated the thought of a new guitar.  By now, I guess it's vintage!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
  • Well then... There you go...
    • View Profile
    • Skotrats Homebrew Website
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2009, 10:46:53 AM »
Man, Matt, that baby's broken in!  I bought my P bass new in 73.  At the time, I hated the thought of a new guitar.  By now, I guess it's vintage!

Denny...

My Black checkerboard strat was like that... I hated it for the first 10 years and then something magical happened to it. Once that piece settled it is about the finest strat that I have ever played.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »
I made the mistake (young and stupid) to have the bridge on my P bass replaced with a Badass bridge.  Now, that wouldn't have been so bad, but the Badass bridge I bought was actually made for a Gibson, so to get it to fit my P bass I had to get a violin maker to dig out a hole so it would sit at the right height.  DOH!!!!!  Now, I can never get it back to anywhere near a "normal" P bass.  It's not bad, just doesn't have as much of the typical P bass sound as I'd like it to have.  Plus, I pretty much destroyed the value of it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline matthew

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2009, 01:15:43 PM »
I forgot I made some ajustments to my fiender last year, that was an old pic-

I replaced th saddles and machines in th early '90s and put them in a bag and put
them in my gun safe, I guess there still there. Purdy much ruined th value of th thing when I started
lettin folks sign there name on it with a pocket knife, aint plannin on sellin it.
Yup, got five springs in there ;D
Good afternon folks!
Matthew
Well it hurts down here on Earth lord
It hurts down here on Earth
It hurts down here cause we're running out of beer
But we're all gonna die someday

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2009, 01:35:51 PM »
I put a Badass bridge on my Jazz Bass that I had a few years ago, but that was a recent Mexi JB, and I sold it anyway.  Whatever sound change the bridge may have done was not something I could really pick up on at the time.  Waste of money, but in those days I was convinced that "TONE" was the almighty point of pursuit, and if I had the right tone, I would sound good.  I still have great appreciation for an instrument with a nice tonality, but its near the bottom of the list for me these days..."tone is in the fingers" is a bit of an oversimplification, but there's some truth to that.  I'd rather listen to a good player on a mediocre instrument than a mediocre player on a great instrument...and I've met a lot of the latter and I was certainly guilty of being one of them in younger days.  Buying a Rickenbacker didn't make me sound like Chris Squire, nor my earlier (and ill-advised) attempt to sound like Jack Bruce by trading my cheap P-bass for an Epiphone EB-0.  The EB-0, with its short scale and single neck pickup, was in retrospect a much worse sounding (though admittedly significantly prettier) instrument than the cheap Epi P-bass copy I let go.  I'm such a sentimentalist, that's the only guitar I've ever sold or traded.  And weirdly enough I miss it from time to time, if only for sentimental reasons.

Lately though this bass has been getting all my attention:

Gary Willis model, strung with groundwounds, custom bartolini pickup.  I don't own the bass but am borrowing it, and I have to say its the sort of instrument that makes you sound better than you otherwise would.  I'm normally a 4-string, passive, fretted bass sort of guy, to the point of using my Rickenbacker on funk tracks, but I love this bass....playing fretted now feels extremely restrictive.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2009, 02:50:01 PM »
I put a Badass bridge on my Jazz Bass that I had a few years ago, but that was a recent Mexi JB, and I sold it anyway.  Whatever sound change the bridge may have done was not something I could really pick up on at the time.  Waste of money, but in those days I was convinced that "TONE" was the almighty point of pursuit, and if I had the right tone, I would sound good.  I still have great appreciation for an instrument with a nice tonality, but its near the bottom of the list for me these days..."tone is in the fingers" is a bit of an oversimplification, but there's some truth to that.  I'd rather listen to a good player on a mediocre instrument than a mediocre player on a great instrument...and I've met a lot of the latter and I was certainly guilty of being one of them in younger days.  Buying a Rickenbacker didn't make me sound like Chris Squire, nor my earlier (and ill-advised) attempt to sound like Jack Bruce by trading my cheap P-bass for an Epiphone EB-0.  The EB-0, with its short scale and single neck pickup, was in retrospect a much worse sounding (though admittedly significantly prettier) instrument than the cheap Epi P-bass copy I let go.  I'm such a sentimentalist, that's the only guitar I've ever sold or traded.  And weirdly enough I miss it from time to time, if only for sentimental reasons.

Lately though this bass has been getting all my attention:

Gary Willis model, strung with groundwounds, custom bartolini pickup.  I don't own the bass but am borrowing it, and I have to say its the sort of instrument that makes you sound better than you otherwise would.  I'm normally a 4-string, passive, fretted bass sort of guy, to the point of using my Rickenbacker on funk tracks, but I love this bass....playing fretted now feels extremely restrictive.

+1

Bass tone is in the fingers. Well let's just say they play a significant role in your tone. I love the look of that GW bass.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2009, 03:10:03 PM »
Bass tone is in the fingers. Well let's just say they play a significant role in your tone. I love the look of that GW bass.

ABSOLUTELY!  Took me 30+ years of playing to figure that out!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2009, 03:15:27 PM »
Ironically the look and style is what I liked least about it...being much more akin personally to the traditionally styled basses (previously mentioned Ric is a sight for the eyes).  And if its going to be modern, at least it ought to have really stunning exotic woods, etc (for that price) instead of plain jane ash, maple, and a composite fretboard.  However...you can't argue with results, and I'm pretty sure any bass I build out of exotic wenge or rosewood or koa (etc etc etc) is going to be a disappointment after this bass (and probably thrice as heavy).

Although tone is in the fingers, on fretteds I still sometimes get the heavy pick out.  You can get a lot of tonal variations out of a bass with a pick...pinch harmonics, etc.  I guess its the residual progrock fascination that was never quite expurgated from me.

A great example of someone with great mastery over the tone of their instrument...Knopfler on Sultans of Swing.  Sure its a pretty run of the mill pop song but I've always looked at it as a great example of someone making a guitar sound expressive WITHOUT excessive dependence on effects, amplifiers, and all the gear that we usually think of to comprise "tone".

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
A great example of someone with great mastery over the tone of their instrument...Knopfler on Sultans of Swing.  Sure its a pretty run of the mill pop song but I've always looked at it as a great example of someone making a guitar sound expressive WITHOUT excessive dependence on effects, amplifiers, and all the gear that we usually think of to comprise "tone".

He gets some awesome tone out of his axe on that tune and others as well. A real fine musician he is.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »
Although tone is in the fingers, on fretteds I still sometimes get the heavy pick out.  You can get a lot of tonal variations out of a bass with a pick...pinch harmonics, etc.  I guess its the residual progrock fascination that was never quite expurgated from me.

I'm with ya!  At least for the way I play, the tone is in the left hand.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »
Dude? The MBC keg ID sticker. What'd that guitar ever do to you? ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • View Profile
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2009, 04:45:25 PM »
That strat is full of character, matthew.  Very nice!

I got to play a '62 during a session a few weeks ago.  It sounded really great through a '57 Deluxe.   8)

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
  • Well then... There you go...
    • View Profile
    • Skotrats Homebrew Website
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »
More Patented Ghetto Straplocks...

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • View Profile
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2012, 07:08:49 AM »
Reviving an old, but awesome, thread.  I just swapped out a few pedals on my pedalboard and replaced the stock tele pickups in my '62 RI.  I popped a Fralin Big-T PU in the neck position and a Lollar Special-T in the bridge position.  I can't believe how much of a difference these PUs make!  The lows are tighter, the highs aren't as harsh, and the mids really growl. 8)

In a few weeks, I'll post pics of the Danocaster S-style that Dan Strain is currently building for me.  It's going to be a 60s relic that will look like it was originally finished in shoreline gold but refinished in candy apple red.  Can't wait to get my hands on that baby!

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial