Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starters +  (Read 940 times)

Offline Thomas

• 1st Kit
Starters +
« on: May 21, 2019, 06:00:56 pm »
I’m a bit behind. Just finished listening to EXB episode 49 on starters. Denny and Drew were making the case for shaken not stirred starters.

Not covered in the show was methods for growing extra yeast for future use. Currently I have been making 4L starters (stir plate, decanting) pitching half and storing half. What do you think of this practice? Brewing low to middle of the road gravity beers. Next time round (usually months later) I repeat the process with the stored yeast as the starter yeast.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Starters +
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 08:09:26 am »
I’m a bit behind. Just finished listening to EXB episode 49 on starters. Denny and Drew were making the case for shaken not stirred starters.

Not covered in the show was methods for growing extra yeast for future use. Currently I have been making 4L starters (stir plate, decanting) pitching half and storing half. What do you think of this practice? Brewing low to middle of the road gravity beers. Next time round (usually months later) I repeat the process with the stored yeast as the starter yeast.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's what you want to do, go for it.  A lot of people do.  I prefer to save slurry for future use.I have
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:09:03 am »
I would favor harvested slurry as well, though I have never tried the split starter method you mention.  But for a reason.   I repitch to quite a few generations, and out of experience share the general view that yeast doesn't really come into its own, adapted to actual brewery conditions and performing at its best,  until at least couple of generations in.  If you are perpetually keeping your source yeast as a starter, essentially a lab culture, you're never getting ideal fermentation performance out of it.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:36:59 pm »
I grow the yeast packet up into four 500ml stock starters and crash them. When brew day is approaching I boost one of the 500 ml stages to 2 liters, crash it, and then reconstitute it with fresh wort from the BK.

It sounds like a pain, but isn't really, and I always get good activity 2-3 hours after pitching the yeast. It also allows me to have multiple yeast strains on hand depending on how I feel coming up to brew day.
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!