Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Tripel - Doubled Maltodextrin - HELP!  (Read 3501 times)

Offline waterman

• 1st Kit
Belgian Tripel - Doubled Maltodextrin - HELP!
« on: August 20, 2010, 05:32:30 pm »
Alright... this is our second time to brew and we decided to make a Belgian Tripel.  We accidently added double the maltodextrin that the recipe called for... any ideas on what this is going to do to the batch or how to fix it?  Do we just toss it out? 

Thanks - Waterman

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
Re: Belgian Tripel - Doubled Maltodextrin - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:04:33 pm »
Wow - going for a tripel on your second batch.  Well played!

I think it might be helpful if you post your recipe as you intended to brew it.  Along with the recipe, the following info would be nice to know:

- Did you take a hydrometer reading?
- What yeast did you use?
- Did you make a starter?
- How did you aerate the wort?
- Any other items you think are worth mentioning about your method or how the brew session went.

Also, a good rule to follow is to never dump it until you are absolutely, positively sure that your least picky friends will never drink it.  Some of my best beers weren't very good for a really long time, so patience is sometimes rewarded.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:54:57 am »
Recipe please. I don't know why you'd need maltodextrin in a tripel. It needs a lower FG not a higher one. If I were to make an extract tripel I would use 80% pilsner extract 20% white sugar and make it about 1.075 in gravity. Hop to 30 or 35 IBUs. Finish with a touch of saaz or styrians. And ferment with 3787 or Bastogne yeast.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 08:25:50 am »
Yeah, hate to say this but any recipe with maltodextrine in a tripel is one whack recipe, for sure. Let alone doubling it. You want these beers to be dry. Bone dry if possible.

Offline witsok

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 08:42:47 am »
As Stan Hieronymus would say, "Remember to brew like yourself, but with monastic patience."

To me the place to start is your expectations.  What do you want or expect from this beer?  This will really drive what corrective action if any.  My expecations when I hear tripel are:

- Light body, but not thin or water.
  - Complexity from fermenation.  Fruity esters and pleasant alcohol notes (should not be soventy or hot)
  - Effervescent

Were you looking to make something fuller?  A chewier version of a tripel?  Then adding maltodextrin would be appropriate for your expecations.  If you are expecting true to Trappist examples, well then maltodextrin doesn't have its place in the beer.  If you were expecting the later, then I'd suggest you rebrew without the maltodextrin - but don't through out your current beer.  Where or how did you come up with the recipe.  I agree with other poster request to share your recipe.  We can give suggestions for the rebrew.

My basic tripe is:

OG 1.075-1.076
IBU 30
88% Pilsner (for extract use the lightest you can find, preferable from pilsner type malt)
2% Aromatic
10% Sugar
27 IBUs at 60 minutes from flameout.  Variety is not that critical.  Often I'll use N. Brewer
3 IBUs in the last 10-15 minutes.  Styrian goldings, fuggle, willamette or other similar hop

I like Wyeast 3864 Candian/Belgian.  3787 is also a great choice in my opinion.

If you are open to suggestion to dry out your current beer, how about adding some funk?  You could give it some brettanomyces.  Over time it should break down the maltodextrin.  You could culture from dregs of Orval or buy a pure culture from Wyeast or White Labs.

In the end, it is YOUR BEER and you can brew it any way you like!  Use your expecations to guide you.  Again, remember Stan's advice, "Remember to brew like yourself, but with monastic patience."

Cheers

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 08:49:50 am »

In the end, it is YOUR BEER and you can brew it any way you like!

As long as you don't use maltodextrone anywhere near it.  ;)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 09:10:32 am »
Well, you can, but please don't call it a tripel then.

Love them or hate them, but one thing styles do is set an expectation in the mind of the consumer. If you want to make it your way, go ahead, but call it something else or people will be confused.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 09:22:48 am »

Love them or hate them, but one thing styles do is set an expectation in the mind of the consumer. If you want to make it your way, go ahead, but call it something else or people will be confused.

A point that needs to be remembered!  You don't have to brew to style, but if you call a pig a poodle, no one will know what you're talking about!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 01:40:48 pm »

A point that needs to be remembered!  You don't have to brew to style, but if you call a pig a poodle, no one will know what you're talking about!

Good point Denny.  I would grill a pig, but a poodle.  Well maybe in Chinatown. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 02:52:45 pm »
You simply don't grill a poodle. That's wrong. That's what crock pots are for.