Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Domestic Premium?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Domestic Premium?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2019, 08:22:09 pm »
If you've just day-hiked Mt. Whitney in August--in other words, if you've just hiked a 22-mile round trip in a single day where you've gone from 8000 feet 14,495 feet and then back again, all the while in the blazing high-altitude sun--then trust me, these beers are indeed the best beers in the world. You'd pay anything--anything--for one of these beers. And it would be the best beer you've ever had in your life. Please trust me on this.

Point is, whether these beers are fizzy, beer-flavored water or absolutely amazing depends on context. This is a very important point that BMC-haters need to understand.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2019, 08:45:08 pm »
If you've just day-hiked Mt. Whitney in August--in other words, if you've just hiked a 22-mile round trip in a single day where you've gone from 8000 feet 14,495 feet and then back again, all the while in the blazing high-altitude sun--then trust me, these beers are indeed the best beers in the world. You'd pay anything--anything--for one of these beers. And it would be the best beer you've ever had in your life. Please trust me on this.

Point is, whether these beers are fizzy, beer-flavored water or absolutely amazing depends on context. This is a very important point that BMC-haters need to understand.
I tend to regularly have two beers at any given time in my house, (with the occasional craft interloper:)  My homebrew in the keezer, PBR or High Life in the fridge.  The connection is that both are (and here I flatter myself) very well made examples of their kind, which kind is a well conceived and balanced recipe in the first place (again I flatter myself,) neither of which (well made or well conceived) can be said of most of the craft beers I find.  As long as blatantly unfair and illegal practices are held in check, the market ought to decide how much of what kind of beer the world really needs.   I'm hardly unique in straddling the two realms, am I?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:55:47 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:26 am »
"Premium" is an industry term that differentiates this class of brands from "Subpremium", which would include brands like Busch and Keystone.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 05:09:36 pm »
Robert and Gary have it correct.  Budweiser has been a premium brand since at least the 1970s.  Doesn't have anything to do with competition with craft beer.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 10:16:59 pm »
"Premium" is an industry term that differentiates this class of brands from "Subpremium", which would include brands like Busch and Keystone.

Back when I was in HS, Busch and Keystone were premium, too.
Generic, no-name Beer in a white can with black stripes, now THAT was sub-premium.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 05:11:15 am »

Back when I was in HS, Busch and Keystone were premium, too.
Generic, no-name Beer in a white can with black stripes, now THAT was sub-premium.
Years ago, on a trip to England, I found small cans marked "Barley Wine" with no other brand label at the grocery store.  They were actually quite good, but probably not premium.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 07:25:24 pm »
This showed up in my inbox today. I had no idea these brands were considered ‘premium’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started homebrewing to avoid the "Big 4". I live way out in the sticks, and it's a 30 mile drive (one way) for a slightly more decent beer. When hard pressed, or low on gas, the local C store has Kilt Lifter as their best option.