Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When is the keg full?  (Read 3800 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: When is the keg full?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 07:08:16 am »
This device is coming soon:

https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight-flow-stopper.html

Cheers!

That looks like a pretty cool device!  Definitely would be a bit more efficient than the tubing I use on the gas-in post that goes to a jar of sanitizer.  Might hve to invest in one of these.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 08:35:13 pm »
May I ask why you don't want to fill until beer exits the gas port?

If you have more than one keg in your serving system you will get a pressure drop when you serve from another keg, and the full keg will back-flow into the gas lines and make an outstanding mess! You might get around that by tilting the receiving keg until the gas port dip tube was roughly aligned with the 5 gallon mark.
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 08:48:19 pm »

May I ask why you don't want to fill until beer exits the gas port?

If you have more than one keg in your serving system you will get a pressure drop when you serve from another keg, and the full keg will back-flow into the gas lines and make an outstanding mess! You might get around that by tilting the receiving keg until the gas port dip tube was roughly aligned with the 5 gallon mark.

I was assuming that we were considering filling the keg in isolation from the rest of the system.  I keep a separate gas cylinder and regulator just for use in transfers and kegging so there's no crossing with my carbonation and serving regime.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 05:04:46 am »

I was assuming that we were considering filling the keg in isolation from the rest of the system.  I keep a separate gas cylinder and regulator just for use in transfers and kegging so there's no crossing with my carbonation and serving regime.

+1. I fill with gravity isolated from the rest of my system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

narvin

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 06:47:32 am »
Where do you live?  If there's any appreciable humidity and you cold crash first, you see a pretty quick line of condensation appear on the keg at the beer level.  I find this is a decent guide for avoiding a mess coming out of the gas tube.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 12:47:00 pm »
When I do closed transfers I go by weight. I bought a $30 scale just to do this but I find it comes in handy for weighing all sorts of things, like my grist, transfers to the travel keg, exactly how much is left in that serving keg, and even other things outside of the brewery. Nothing wrong with filling until it comes out the gas port except that it requires being more attentive when it's almost full. With the scale I can do other chores in the brewery while just keeping an eye on the weight, always knowing exactly where it's at. Not necessary but definitely nice to have.

This is what I do and it works just fine.  I use th same scale to weigh grain so I really didn’t have to buy another scale.