Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spunding advice needed  (Read 1521 times)

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Spunding advice needed
« on: May 28, 2019, 03:54:52 pm »
This will be my first time spunding so I would love any advice or mistakes to avoid.  I plan to spund  for the last bit of fermentation with the goals of reduced oxidation and natural carbonation.   I brew a 1.052 OG saison yesterday, expecting FG of 1.002 as I’ve repitched Wyeast 3711 from slurry of just kegged saison that drove a similar strength wort to FG of 1.002.
I’m planning to transfer from carboy to keg around 1.010 and spund down to final.  Thinking to set valve pressure to 20 psi.   These are numbers I’m ballparking as I haven’t done any calculations and if I’m +/- a bit on gravity at transfer I’m ok with it as I don’t plan to run hydrometer samples twice a day....
I’m open to any and all feedback.  Thanks

On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Spunding advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 04:19:51 am »
You really only need about 3-4 points remaining when you transfer. Transferring with 8 points remaining won't hurt anything but you will end up with quite a bit of yeast in the keg. As far as where to set your spunding valve, check a carbonation chart.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:50:31 am »
I long term force carbonate at 10psi. So I would set the spund to 10.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 06:59:03 am »
10 psig will work a certain serving temperature, to give a certain level of carbonation.  But the OP will be carbonating at a higher temperature, and will have a specific target for volumes of CO2.  Could need even up to 30 psig.  So yes, check a carbonation chart.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 10:24:13 am »
10 psig will work a certain serving temperature, to give a certain level of carbonation.  But the OP will be carbonating at a higher temperature, and will have a specific target for volumes of CO2.  Could need even up to 30 psig.  So yes, check a carbonation chart.
Exactly, since the OP is fermenting a saison, it will probably be fermenting in the high 70's and since saisons are highly carbonated at 3+ volumes of CO2, the spunding valve will need to be set well above 30 PSI inorder for it to be properly carbonated at serving temp.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 12:26:42 pm »
Exactly, since the OP is fermenting a saison, it will probably be fermenting in the high 70's and since saisons are highly carbonated at 3+ volumes of CO2, the spunding valve will need to be set well above 30 PSI inorder for it to be properly carbonated at serving temp.
Thanks, you're right, after some searching I've found that I should set regulator to 42 PSI to achieve 3.0 volumes CO2 at 78F.

Fermenting, Saison

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 01:19:24 pm »
Some of those saison yeasts tend to stall real bad when pressurized.  I wonder how well this would work....
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 01:25:10 pm »
Some of those saison yeasts tend to stall real bad when pressurized.  I wonder how well this would work....
Won't they experience the same pressure bottle conditionong?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 02:10:59 pm »
If I wait to transfer until approximately 6-8 points to go and keep temp 78-82 or so I’m hoping to avoid any stalling

Fermenting, Saison