Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: This has gone far enough!  (Read 15197 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: This has gone far enough!
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2019, 07:09:40 am »
Wow, I opened a can of worms!  Guess I wasn't aware that "maker" had acquired this negative sense.  When I quoted it I was thinking in terms more like the way Visor and AzBruin are using it.  A sense that it had a decade or more ago when it first appeared on my radar.   Like a DIYer, but more of an inventive, resourceful, junkyard engineering, tinkering sort.  Oops, now "tinkering" is probably a semantic landmine.  But I thought this was a sensibility that was coming back around, as things do every couple of generations.  Pendulum swings.

I think it mostly has a negative connotation because of how many tend to refuse help from knowledgeable sources and instead rely upon unverified bad advice, often from the internet.

If you consider yourself a maker and you don't fall into that trap, then I have no beef with you.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2019, 08:54:58 am »
Wow, I opened a can of worms!  Guess I wasn't aware that "maker" had acquired this negative sense.  When I quoted it I was thinking in terms more like the way Visor and AzBruin are using it.  A sense that it had a decade or more ago when it first appeared on my radar.   Like a DIYer, but more of an inventive, resourceful, junkyard engineering, tinkering sort.  Oops, now "tinkering" is probably a semantic landmine.  But I thought this was a sensibility that was coming back around, as things do every couple of generations.  Pendulum swings.

I think it mostly has a negative connotation because of how many tend to refuse help from knowledgeable sources and instead rely upon unverified bad advice, often from the internet.

If you consider yourself a maker and you don't fall into that trap, then I have no beef with you.

So, where I work we have a great makerspace which has many positive outcomes for its primary users (university students and faculty). First, I do see what I call "makerhate" among some folks. Well, some people don't like anything, particularly if they didn't invent it. But, more to the emerging maker thread, there was an early meeting of makerspace doers, supporters, proponents, etc. and I think 3/4 of the people attending that meeting were homebrewers!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2019, 09:50:32 am »

So, where I work we have a great makerspace which has many positive outcomes for its primary users (university students and faculty). First, I do see what I call "makerhate" among some folks. Well, some people don't like anything, particularly if they didn't invent it. But, more to the emerging maker thread, there was an early meeting of makerspace doers, supporters, proponents, etc. and I think 3/4 of the people attending that meeting were homebrewers!

Makers are a huge part of the homebrew culture.  The AHA is aware of that and has been targeting maker faire.  It was also part of the impetus behind Simple Homebrewing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2019, 10:09:05 am »
What I do know is that the AHA membership numbers are flat, after many years of double-digit growth. Craft Brewer are also seeing slower growth.

I find it odd that the AHA seems to be pushing new membership a lot less than it has in past years which probably does not help the issue. I remember a few years ago the AHA did a lot of giveaways for new memberships/renewals and felt like I saw advertisements all over for membership but now not so much. I don't know if there was a low ROI on those efforts or what motivated that to change.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2019, 08:23:13 pm »
What I do know is that the AHA membership numbers are flat, after many years of double-digit growth. Craft Brewer are also seeing slower growth.

I find it odd that the AHA seems to be pushing new membership a lot less than it has in past years which probably does not help the issue. I remember a few years ago the AHA did a lot of giveaways for new memberships/renewals and felt like I saw advertisements all over for membership but now not so much. I don't know if there was a low ROI on those efforts or what motivated that to change.

At HomebrewCon there was a discussion of what will be coming. Stay tuned.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2019, 08:51:37 pm »
It was also part of the impetus behind Simple Homebrewing.

Simple homebrewing seems like a contradiction in terms to me.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2019, 06:50:43 am »

Homebrewing can be very simple. But, it can also be as complex as you want to make it.

Big Monk

« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2019, 07:49:30 am »

Homebrewing can be very simple. But, it can also be as complex as you want to make it.

I think Bilsch was referring to the concept that nothing could be simpler than simply going to the store and buying beer. I don't think it was an indictment of one's personal motivations for complexity in brewing.

;)

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2019, 11:02:43 pm »
Indeed. IMO anything beyond a Mr. Beer kit and it ceases to be simple anymore.

Offline Robert

« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2019, 05:22:18 am »
OTOH Denny's principle of "make the best beer possible... doing the least work possible,"  doing everything necessary but nothing without a good reason, is not by any stretch reducing the process to "mere" homebrewing.  It's optimization of process.  It ought to apply to professionals as well.  One would think that no mega brewer would stay in business very long taking unnecessary steps.  (But then AB can somehow afford to kräusen; maybe it really serves a necessary purpose.)  Likewise one would think no craft brewer would survive very long lazily cutting too many corners.  (But then....)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2019, 08:23:47 am »

Old AHA slogan....."It's not rocket science unless you want it to be".

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2019, 08:24:33 am »

Not at all...it's experienced brewers who are most in need of the concept.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2019, 08:36:16 am »
Brewing itself, even at its most heady and scientific, is simple.

Maybe we don’t want to conflate simplicity with difficulty but rather relate simplicity to to saving time. The reason I can’t brew much (or at all mostly) anymore is the time it takes and not the difficulty.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2019, 08:49:06 am »
Brewing itself, even at its most heady and scientific, is simple.

Maybe we don’t want to conflate simplicity with difficulty but rather relate simplicity to to saving time. The reason I can’t brew much (or at all mostly) anymore is the time it takes and not the difficulty.

That's very much true.  If you embrace simplicity by cutting out the unnecessary,  it will save you time.

One thing that's getting overlooked is that simplicity is a personal decision.  A Sabco BrewMagic might be simp,e for one person, while a cooler system might be simple for another. The simplicity concept is about identifying what works for you.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2019, 09:23:27 am »

One thing that's getting overlooked is that simplicity is a personal decision.  A Sabco BrewMagic might be simp,e for one person, while a cooler system might be simple for another. The simplicity concept is about identifying what works for you.

+1
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.