Author Topic: This has gone far enough!  (Read 3610 times)

Online Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Re: This has gone far enough!
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2019, 10:48:50 PM »
Most of my beers are a single base malt, occasionally with an adjunct or brewing sugar, and most often a single FWH hop addition.  Recipe wise I don't think I could get much simpler.  It's pretty much how all beer was once.  You can accuse my brewhouse and cellar processes of being complicated, but -- and I think this jibes with Denny and Drew's philosophy -- there's nothing in there that doesn't have a good reason.   The result is decidedly beer flavored beer (when executed well,) and the challenge is to make the most of what you have.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2019, 11:37:39 PM »
This is fitting right in with my personal resurgence in simplification using Josh Weikert’s Beer Simple principle: “...return to the essential simplicity and joy of beer and brewing.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know a couple guys who just published a book about that....

"The best beer possible, with the least effort possible, while having the most fun possible".

Reminds me of the old contractor's saying:
You can have it done cheap, fast, or good. Pick 2.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2019, 02:21:25 PM »
This is fitting right in with my personal resurgence in simplification using Josh Weikert’s Beer Simple principle: “...return to the essential simplicity and joy of beer and brewing.”

I know a couple guys who just published a book about that....

"The best beer possible, with the least effort possible, while having the most fun possible".

Absolutely.  Drew’s On the Ones idea, Palmer’s styles formula using base + four character malts in How to Brew, Josh’s Beer Simple, Zainasheff’s “by the sack method” in commercial breweries all reinforce this idea. I am aligning more and more to these ideas.

I'm finding that more and more, enjoyment is my purpose in brewing.  Not the beer, not the equipment just the joy of doing it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2019, 02:24:41 PM »
I'm finding that more and more, enjoyment is my purpose in brewing.  Not the beer, not the equipment just the joy of doing it.

For once Denny and I are in total agreement. With my return to brewing I know I'm not going to make the best beer. (Though it'll still be superior for most Craft swill available these days...)

That's not the goal though. I miss the process. I miss smelling the grain mashing, (Yes, I know that means it's oxidizing) the boil, etc. I miss trying historic techniques. Taking a long break from brewing was a great way to realize what elements I missed, and which ones I did not...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Online Robert

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2019, 03:12:43 PM »

I know I'm not going to make the best beer. (Though it'll still be superior for most Craft swill available these days...)

See, that's the thing. When admittedly suboptimal homebrew is consistently better than commercial craft beer, there's a problem in the craft sphere, and it isn't going to be some homebrewers on a forum, per se, that kill the industry.  Have fun, Phil!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:15:50 PM by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »

I know I'm not going to make the best beer. (Though it'll still be superior for most Craft swill available these days...)

See, that's the thing. When admittedly suboptimal homebrew is consistently better than commercial craft beer, there's a problem in the craft sphere, and it isn't going to be some homebrewers on a forum, per se, that kill the industry.  Have fun, Phil!

I can't really say that suboptimal homebrew is consistently better than craft around here.  We must be lucky.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Robert

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »

I can't really say that suboptimal homebrew is consistently better than craft around here.  We must be lucky.
There's good and bad.  Just more bad than you'd expect would be sustainable.  But I guess a lot of that is operations not necessarily riding on the beer itself, from vanity projects, to those that attract customers by way of food, entertainment, activities, etc., or of course just hype and trend seeking.  Occasionally those operations don't survive,  but it's sometimes surprising what does survive (especially those that are primarily production breweries.)  And you are no doubt lucky out there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:44:41 PM by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Visor

• Brewer
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2019, 04:14:10 PM »
   I managed to make it to a couple of brewfests near here this month and was very disappointed by the overall quality of the beers. I was amazed at the paucity of good beers, and the number of bad beers, and I don't just mean the weird "blueberry- mint julip-frappe breakfast saison" crap, I mean beers that had so many quality flaws that even my burned out taste buds couldn't help but notice. Granted both fests took place far from any population center, but I had the same experience last year at the Knoxville Brewfest.
    I think breweries get away with selling crap beer because so few people can really tell the difference between well made beer and garbage, and because it's cool to consume locally made stuff, be it beer, wine, spirits or someone's tough, overripe field corn purchased at the local farmer's market.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewer
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2019, 01:09:21 AM »
Tasty

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Online BrewBama

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2019, 01:49:20 AM »
Tasty

LOL. Exhibit A. Cheers!

“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Online Robert

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2019, 02:01:24 AM »
Tasty

LOL. Exhibit A. Cheers!

Yeah well anything to do with Marion Barry is gonna contain some substances it oughta not.  Oh wait that's Marionberry.   Still. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2019, 07:14:21 PM »
Tasty

LOL. Exhibit A. Cheers!

Yeah well anything to do with Marion Barry is gonna contain some substances it oughta not.  Oh wait that's Marionberry.   Still. 

Hey, I LOVE marionberries! 

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2019, 12:30:44 AM »
Random dirty glass filled to the brim with no head? Check

Crazy ingredients that shouldn’t be in beer? Check

Stupid generic label to entice millennials?
Check

The exact beer I wrote my blog post about?
Check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 04:28:11 PM by The Beerery »

Offline Wilbur

• Brewer
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2019, 05:22:32 AM »

Check

You've got one thing right, the Germans haven't restyled a car or a logo in decades... Centuries... Ever?

Online Robert

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2019, 12:17:20 PM »

Check

You've got one thing right, the Germans haven't restyled a car or a logo in decades... Centuries... Ever?

Actually they pretty much invented the idea of design, and redesign... see Bauhaus.  And Spiegelau/Riedel is largely responsible for the increasingly absurd array of new glassware designs for various styles of beer.  But redesigning what's in the glass has never been seen as serving a useful purpose it seems.  Nonetheless trends and fashions are forces in German beer drinking, especially generationally, just as anywhere else.   Like when the utterly obscure Bavarian Hefeweizen exploded onto the scene in the 80s, when every student with Einstürzende Neubauten on their Walkman had to have one, with a lemon slice, in the newly anointed vase shaped glass.  The German counterpart to the contemporaneous collegiate American innovation of a Corona with a lime wedge.  Now both seem old hat.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio