Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Kit: From Dextrose (1Kg) to LME or DME?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline MastroBirraio

• 1st Kit
Beer Kit: From Dextrose (1Kg) to LME or DME?
« on: May 26, 2019, 04:04:25 pm »
Hi,

i have a question regarding the right proportion to substitute the Dextrose Sugar with DME or LME.

Actually i'm using malt kit like Coopers, Mangrove Jack, Muntons etc.... a very simple way to obtain beer.

Now after some three kit i want to improve my beer and some people tell me to substitute sugar/dextrose with LME or DME.

But the question is, what is the right proportion?

1 Kg of sugar/dextrose = 1,2 Kg of DME and = 1,6 Kg of LME

This is the right proportion or not?

If i want to realize a Lager beer kit with 1,5 Kg of Premium Muntons Lager + 1,6 Kg of Extra Light Muntons Extract + Mangrove Jack M54 California Lager... it's a good idea or there are better solution?

Sadly i can't ferment at lager temperature and i need to use M54 yeast or the Safale US05 yeast (what do you suggest to obtain a beer more similar to lager?) - i light sweet beer and a lot of ale beer are too much bitter.

Or do you sugest to stay on dextrose for Malt Kit ? (Like coopers/mangrove jack etc...)

Thanks a lot

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Beer Kit: From Dextrose (1Kg) to LME or DME?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 09:05:50 pm »
From this article:
https://beerandbrewing.com/brewing-with-sugar/

Dextrose (corn sugar) yields 42 gravity points per lb per gallon. In other words, 1 lb of dextrose in 1 gallon will yield a "wort" of 1.042

DME in my experience yields 44 gravity points per lb per gallon.  --> 1.044

LME in my experience yields 36 gravity points per lb per gallon

I would simply substitute an equal weight of DME (and live with the additional .002 gravity points per ll in 1 gallon) or 42/36 * weight of the dextrose to come up with the LME figure.

Using your numbers:

1.2 kg of dextrose use 1.2 kg of DME
or
1.4 kg of LME

HTH
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Beer Kit: From Dextrose (1Kg) to LME or DME?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 03:54:57 pm »
“- i like sweet beer and a lot of ale beer are too much bitter.”

As you learn more about brewing you will find out that this is simply not true. Bitterness is determined by hops.  You can have very lightly hopped sweet ales and lagers. And you can also have the same with lagers. It is true that many IPA and ales are made these days with a lot of bittering added.  So I understand where you are coming from.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”