Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: It's the best beer I have ever made...but why?  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
It's the best beer I have ever made...but why?
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:55:04 am »
I recently made a California Common, using a variation on a recipe I have used several times before. The previous brews have been excellent, but this one was outstanding. It has gotten rave reviews from everyone who has had it, and several people have called it the best beer they have ever tasted. Now I am trying to figure out why it came out so good. I used the same hop schedule, same yeast, same fermentation temperature, etc. I did make some changes to the malt, and the answer must be there, but I made several changes. I had used generic 2-row base malt previously, but this time I used expensive local craft malt: Admiral Pils from Admiral Maltings (http://admiralmaltings.com/). I also changed the specialty malts a bit because I had some odds and ends lying around. The overall amount of specialty malts was the same, but the recent one came out a bit darker. They had essentially the same OG and FG, within a point or two. Here is the final comparison:

Previous beer      Recent beer
10 lbs 2-row10 lbs Admiral Pils
1 lb C6012 oz C60+ 4 oz Caramel Aromatic
1 lb Munich12 oz Munich Dark + 4 oz Munich Light

So the question is: did I just hit a perfect sweet spot with the balance of specialty malts, or did the base malt make a huge difference? I know that the only way to really tell is to brew it again while changing only the base malt or only the specialty malts, but that could be many months away. My guess at the moment is that the difference is due to the base malt, but my wallet is hoping that it is not.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: It's the best beer I have ever made...but why?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 12:00:52 pm »
We'd have to know what the difference in flavor was like in order to make an educated guess.  Send me some of both versions.....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 12:01:51 pm »
That’s part of the difficulty of changing many variables at the same time. 

I mean if this is the best beer you’ve ever brewed, why would you change anything the next time you brew it?  I would keep everything the same.

As for your uncertainty about the contribution of the base malt - the best way to see if you vastly prefer that over your generic 2 row is to brew the same exact recipe twice, only varying the base malt and then comparing the 2 beers, preferably using a beer with a lowish level of hops and specialty malts - maybe a simple pale ale or blonde ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 12:27:13 pm »
Any variation you make in a recipe, albeit minor, will change the outcome.  My suggestion is to repeat the recent brew to see if you can duplicate it.  If you can, the minor variations Made the difference.  If you cannot duplicate it, than the difference might be in the water??  Maybe??
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 01:55:04 pm »
I mean if this is the best beer you’ve ever brewed, why would you change anything the next time you brew it?  I would keep everything the same.

I may well brew it exactly the same to see if it is equally good. The problem with that is the price of the malt. Admiral Pils is $25 for 10 lbs, others are $10 - $12.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 05:00:26 pm »
Maybe you can get a bulk buy deal on the Admiral Pils.  Or maybe you can split a bigger bag with a fellow brewer.    10# is only one more batch, and it sure sounds like you will be brewing this one again and again.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 09:38:01 am »
"It's the best beer I have ever made...but why?" When we can answer that question and achieve consistent repeatability, that's when we've become good brewers. That's the quest for me anyway.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 10:05:16 am »
There is a distinct color and lovibond difference between Munich malts.  Dark Munich is different than Munich Dark. That could explain some differences I would think, but further experimentation would be needed.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 10:45:05 am »
There is a distinct color and lovibond difference between Munich malts.  Dark Munich is different than Munich Dark. That could explain some differences I would think, but further experimentation would be needed.

Really?  I don't think I've seen that.  Which maltster(s)?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 11:08:22 am »
... achieve consistent repeatability, that's when we've become good brewers. That's the quest for me anyway.

This is my quest, too.  Which is the primary reason I’ll be brewing the same recipe with the same ingredients (except for the aroma and flavor hops) over the next four (or more?) brews this Summer. I began brewing the same recipe three brews ago but I’ve changed base malts. So I’ve decided to stick with the same malts for at least the next three to see if my process is consistently repeatable over those four beers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 04:15:33 pm »

Bestmalz Munich dark vs Weyerman (or others) dark Munich.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 04:19:21 pm »

Thanks.  Never noticed that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 04:55:29 pm »

Bestmalz Munich Dark target is 11L per their website

Weyermann Munich II target is 8-9.9. 

Slight differences but not significant enough in my opinion

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 05:11:25 pm »

But there are distinct flavor and aroma differences between different colored Munich malts from the same maltster, and between the same color product from different maltsters. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline blatz

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 05:13:50 pm »

But there are distinct flavor and aroma differences between different colored Munich malts from the same maltster, and between the same color product from different maltsters.

That part I don’t disagree with, but the difference in lovibond isn’t stark like say Briess or other American Dark Munich which is more akin to melanoiden.  The way I read his post suggested a major difference.  I’ve used Best and Weyermann lines of Munichs and while they aren’t completely interchangeable they aren’t worlds apart.