Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wlp001 in a Dopplebock  (Read 1643 times)

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
wlp001 in a Dopplebock
« on: June 03, 2019, 11:37:15 am »
I'm planning to brew a dopplebock that I've made several times and really enjoy.  Typically I use Imperial L17 Harvest (Wyeast 2352, wlp6860).  I'm tempted to use some wlp001 slurry that I will have available and am curious what, if any, flavor differences I can expect from this yeast.  My dopplebock comes in around 1.082 OG, and has a rich, malty, dark fruit flavor to it that I really like.  I'm feeling both experimental and frugal thus wanting to try this, but not at the expense of a disappointing beer....Any thoughts are appreciated.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: wlp001 in a Dopplebock
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 11:38:40 am »
Should be fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jkaeseberg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 07:13:24 pm »
I’ve made many Doppel Bocks as it is my favorite style. I once experimented with what your thinking of doing. I didn’t like the result at all. I now had 5 gallons of beer I didn’t like. WLP001 is an ale yeast and even though it’s clean tasting it is not a lager yeast. My local brew pub just brewed a Doppel Bock. I was excited. I ordered a pint and immediately went to talk to the brewer. I ask if he used ale yeast and indeed he had. I never ordered a second and I had a hard time drinking the first. I’m cheap and reuse my yeast but I would never use ale yeast in a Doppel Bock. Ale yeast will ferment and make a beer but it won’t be a Doppel Bock.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 07:29:46 pm »
I have had a quite plausible light, pale lager made with an unspecified "American ale yeast" by a local brewery.  Actually among the most lager-like craft lagers I've had during the recent explosion of the style.  But not a Doppelbock.  Maybe that's just too big a beer to minimize fermentation characteristics in.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 05:49:34 am »
I think you will like the beer. I think it would be better with lager yeast.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 08:48:17 am »
Thank you for the responses....My brewing window got pushed back a couple weeks giving me more time to contemplate....

Fermenting, Saison

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 07:07:47 pm »
Chico will attenuate more deeply than most lager strains, and it also produces less sulfur. Given the same recipe, I suspect Chico will produce a drier and blander doppelbock. Not a terrible one, just a blander one, lacking the character you're looking for. Probably still drinkable and enjoyable, but if you're going for malty and authentically lager-ish, WLP001 is not the strain to use.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:46:02 pm »
If you can do this, I suggest that you brew a smaller lager with a lager yeast, like a dunkel and then pitch the whole yeast cake from the dunkel into the dopplebock.  I have had success with that approach when using lager yeast.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 10:20:26 am »
Chico will attenuate more deeply than most lager strains, and it also produces less sulfur. Given the same recipe, I suspect Chico will produce a drier and blander doppelbock. Not a terrible one, just a blander one, lacking the character you're looking for. Probably still drinkable and enjoyable, but if you're going for malty and authentically lager-ish, WLP001 is not the strain to use.

Thank you, this makes sense.  What I love about my doppelbock is the malty, fruity complexity that I get from it. 

Fermenting, Saison

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 10:23:08 am »
If you can do this, I suggest that you brew a smaller lager with a lager yeast, like a dunkel and then pitch the whole yeast cake from the dunkel into the dopplebock.  I have had success with that approach when using lager yeast.
Agree.  For my current doppelbock on tap I used the whole slurry of Imperial Harvest yeast that was used to ferment a Dortmunder export lager and it performed beautifully!

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 10:35:39 am »
 Isn't Rogue's Dead Guy beer a bock fermented with an ale yeast?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 10:04:28 pm »

Yes.  It uses the Rogue house standard Pac Man yeast.

It has been a long, long time (at least 10 years) since I last had one, so I don't want to comment on the flavor.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 11:06:58 am »
Yes.  It uses the Rogue house standard Pac Man yeast.
OPPORTUNITY
Several years ago I brewed a pilsner with Pac Man at 72f and entered it into a competition. I got scored in the slightly upper 30s with no mention of it being non-lager like.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women