Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help me choose a yeast  (Read 1274 times)

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
Help me choose a yeast
« on: June 12, 2019, 06:39:20 am »
If you were to brew a beer using the weed like Strata hops in a pale ale with 93% 2 row and 7 % crystal 20, and only had Imperial Dry hop yeast or Denny's 1450, which would you choose and why?

Imperial Dry hop: Dry Hop is a blend of A20 Citrus and A04 Barbarian.  When this blend goes to work on your hoppy beer, the hop aroma blows up.  The combination of these strains produces amazing aromas of citrus, peach, and apricot that will accentuate your IPA, pale ale, and any other hop-driven beer.

Denny's 1450:This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated.

I don't have any more neutral yeast available right now plus, I don't want these to go to waste. Ideally, with this hop I would let it tell the story of the beer but both of these yeasts may take over a bit but I'm ok with that.  I'm leaning towards 1450 at the moment but still back and forth.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Help me choose a yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 07:05:57 am »
If you want the beer to shine I would use the 1450. It sounds like the other yeast will have its own aroma and flavor expression. When an expressive yeast is used it will overpower the hop profile.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:37:26 am »
Split the batch and use both?

I do this to help me figure out which yeast I like in a beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:20:49 am »
Split the batch and use both?

I do this to help me figure out which yeast I like in a beer.

+1
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:30:42 am »
Thanks for the replies.
I am very familiar with both yeasts but just not with Strata.  Unfortunately, I only have room for 2 beers in my fermenting fridge and it's got one in there now so I can only do 1 batch now.
First world problems!  :)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:27:59 pm »
My question is where did you find the Strata?

Edie I see Yakima Yalley had them, out of stock now.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:06:22 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 06:45:28 pm »
I vote Dry Hop. I've used it many times, I really like it. I've also used the White Labs pure strain of Sac brux (WLP644), which is part of Dry Hop. You'll definitely get a touch of pineapple and mango from the Sac brux, but it's not overpowering in Dry Hop. (It's much stronger in the White Labs pure pitch). You'll also get a touch--just a touch--of tartness out of it, which I really like in hop-forward beers.

I've recently brewed a couple IPAs with Strata. Lots of citrus/grapefruit, a touch of dank. I think would go well with the fruity esters of the Dry Hop strain. Full disclosure though, I've never used 1450. Regardless, I think Dry Hop would go well with what you're brewing here.,

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 06:21:47 am »

Farmhouse Brewing Supply had a few of the 4 oz packs.  Give them a try. They may still have some.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 07:07:26 am »

Farmhouse Brewing Supply had a few of the 4 oz packs.  Give them a try. They may still have some.

Also out.

That maybe a good thing. Been avoiding buying hops until my stock is down. We always bring lots of samples back from HomebrewCon.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 07:11:06 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I did end up making a starter last night of the 1450.  In the end, it was not nearly as old as my Dry Hop jar which I'll need to make a step up starter and just don't have time right now.  All the calculators said it only had a 10% viability (my personal experience says otherwise) but I dind't want to take the chance.  I will have a very small amount of Strat left to use as a dry hop in a future beer.