Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic Phenolic Flavor  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Michael Baker

• 1st Kit
Plastic Phenolic Flavor
« on: June 08, 2019, 05:17:46 pm »
I switched to all grain years ago but came upon a recipe that i really wanted to try.  However, it is an extract recipe with steeping grains.  I brewed it twice and got a plastic off flavor both times.  I use un-adjusted R.O. water and nothing but StarSan touches anything once I start brewing so I know it's not chlorine.  I used White Labs WLP001 which I have used several times before with no issues.  The only thing I can think of is my plastic fermentation bucket but, again, I have used it before and since without issue.  Any help out there?

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Plastic Phenolic Flavor
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 06:13:51 pm »
Bottling or kegging?
Plastic usually means chlorine, but if you have ruled that out and if you are hitting all your numbers, is there any chance you have an infection in your end of the line distribution?  Old hoses, bottles...etc.  Just a thought.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 05:55:48 am »
Whenever I taste something that doesn’t seem right, I turn to an app called “BeerJudge”.  I typed in the word “Plastic” and the app offered several different possibilities that cause a plastic-like flavor.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beer-judge/id666120064?mt=8

Hopefully the above link works.

Good luck!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Michael Baker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 06:10:05 am »
Bottling or kegging?
Plastic usually means chlorine, but if you have ruled that out and if you are hitting all your numbers, is there any chance you have an infection in your end of the line distribution?  Old hoses, bottles...etc.  Just a thought.

I force carb in the keg and then bottle with a beer gun.  Flavor is present in both.  I have been told that I am paranoid with my level of sanitation.  Maybe I should try a different yeast?

Offline Michael Baker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 06:14:26 am »
Whenever I taste something that doesn’t seem right, I turn to an app called “BeerJudge”.  I typed in the word “Plastic” and the app offered several different possibilities that cause a plastic-like flavor.

Good luck!

Only available on iTunes for Apple.  I use Android

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 07:05:35 am »

Good luck!

Only available on iTunes for Apple.  I use Android

Shucks!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 08:29:57 am »
Bottling or kegging?

I force carb in the keg and then bottle with a beer gun.  Flavor is present in both.  I have been told that I am paranoid with my level of sanitation.  Maybe I should try a different yeast?

Yeah, I think that's a good place to start.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 01:03:05 pm »
Don't think that it can't be chloromines or chlorine in you water, even though you say RO water. At my brewery we once had a batch that turned out phenolic and we ruled out contamination (nice to have a full lab with a PCR that can check for infection at the genetic level.) Finally we determined that the day we brewed the batch the electricity had gone off. Our high tech water filter uses electricity to operate. We filled the HLT not realizing that our water wasn't getting filtered. So let's say the RO water you used (maybe you got it from the grocery store) had a similar issue... just a thought

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 08:07:50 pm »
The carbon filter on your RO could be on it's way out and passing chlorine. It's happened to me.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 05:40:49 am »
The carbon filter on your RO could be on it's way out and passing chlorine. It's happened to me.
Good thought.  I've been using a chlorine test kit to confirm that my filters are still working acceptably. 
Hach 223101 Chlorine (Free &... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N3ZCNEU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Trust but verify.

Another off the wall thought.  Could this perceived flavor actually not be chlorophenol, but from some other source, such as an unfamiliar hop or other ingredient?  Was there anything novel about the recipe?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 08:52:44 am »
Wild yeast infection will often be the culprit of a phenolic plastic aroma/flavor.

This can come from a variety of sources including contaminated yeast if repitching slurries.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 10:11:18 am »
Wild yeast infection will often be the culprit of a phenolic plastic aroma/flavor.

This can come from a variety of sources including contaminated yeast if repitching slurries.
This is a good point. I ruined two batches a couple of years ago from some contaminated reused yeast. It had a distinct nasty phenolic taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 03:19:47 pm »

This is a good point. I ruined two batches a couple of years ago from some contaminated reused yeast. It had a distinct nasty phenolic taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yet the OP seemed to indicate that he used WLP001 and did not mention re-pitching.  FWIW, it could have been contaminated with airborne wild yeast, especially at this time of the year and if brewing outdoors ... in the time it takes to cool wort to pitching temp, if left uncovered, there is a distinct chance of contamination.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 10:23:13 pm »
While I would not definitely rule out contamination I think switching to a different RO water source is a better first step. Contamination can be a tough problem to identify while testing water as the culprit is as simple as buying RO water from a different source. No added cost to your brewing or need to change your brewing practices.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 05:13:55 am »
While I would not definitely rule out contamination I think switching to a different RO water source is a better first step. Contamination can be a tough problem to identify while testing water as the culprit is as simple as buying RO water from a different source. No added cost to your brewing or need to change your brewing practices.

Good point, for sure, and if the OP uses a small batch approach, there is less beer to dump as he works toward pinpointing the source of the problem.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"