Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Dry hop

CO2 to transfer to corney kegs seems I lose a lot of aroma and hop flavors
0 (0%)
Late hop addition steep
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Hops in fermenter  (Read 2381 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hops in fermenter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 06:56:17 am »
BTW this topic is really on the wrong board!
Sorry new to posting so have a learning curve here also in need of a beer acronym Dictionary,  I’d rather brew beer

No worries. Welcome aboard. Plenty to learn — you can get as deep as you’d like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 07:02:32 am »
BTW this topic is really on the wrong board!
Sorry new to posting so have a learning curve here also in need of a beer acronym Dictionary,  I’d rather brew beer

No worries. Welcome aboard. Plenty to learn — you can get as deep as you’d like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Second that!  The comment wasn't aimed at the OP,  I thought maybe Admin would take notice and move it.

EDIT and they did, so ignore this.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:51:59 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 11:01:27 am »
And be careful how much you dry hop.  Tom Shellhamer has found that in excess of 8 gr./L can be counterproductive and you end up with an herbal character rather than fruity.

IME, this threshold is very dependent on hop variety. I've dry-hopped up to 5 lbs/bbl without getting any perceptible herbal/grassy character. I've settled on 3-4 lbs/bbl as the sweet spot in my home brewery. This rate is what also was used where I used to work. Again, no grassy/herbal.

Shellhammer's study referenced here used only cascade. I've always gotten grassy/herbal when I dry hop with cascade, at any level, and I also get it from galaxy. I never use these hops anymore for this reason. But going big with fresh mosaic, citra, strata, amarillo, etc., is not a problem, at least in my brewery. Shellhammer's study shouldn't scare anyone away from the 3-4 lbs/bbl range...unless you're dry hopping with cascade, that is.

Shellhammer's study can be used to guide the use of cascade, and only cascade.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 12:28:28 pm »
And be careful how much you dry hop.  Tom Shellhamer has found that in excess of 8 gr./L can be counterproductive and you end up with an herbal character rather than fruity.

IME, this threshold is very dependent on hop variety. I've dry-hopped up to 5 lbs/bbl without getting any perceptible herbal/grassy character. I've settled on 3-4 lbs/bbl as the sweet spot in my home brewery. This rate is what also was used where I used to work. Again, no grassy/herbal.

Shellhammer's study referenced here used only cascade. I've always gotten grassy/herbal when I dry hop with cascade, at any level, and I also get it from galaxy. I never use these hops anymore for this reason. But going big with fresh mosaic, citra, strata, amarillo, etc., is not a problem, at least in my brewery. Shellhammer's study shouldn't scare anyone away from the 3-4 lbs/bbl range...unless you're dry hopping with cascade, that is.

Do you dry hop in the keg and fermenter?
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 12:39:20 pm »
I use a lot of noble hops, so my standard procedure is to FWH with Magnum to the calculated IBU's (if it isn't a recipe that I have down pat) and then a modest amount at -0- (like 2 ozs of Hallertauer or Mittelfruh) in 10 gallon batches.  I chill relatively quickly using both a WIC and a counterflow chiller, so not much late hop carries forward, but I like the subtle flavor and aroma additions from it.  Most of my brews are lagers that I can get to 56 degrees based on my well water temperature in a few minutes, so it is nothing like a hopstand or whirlpool addition.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 02:03:19 pm »

Do you dry hop in the keg and fermenter?

I dry hop in the fermenter.