Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Infected fermentation?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
Infected fermentation?
« on: May 26, 2019, 08:10:17 am »
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's my latest batch, a rye IPA fermenting in Craft A Brew's Catalyst. (From Google Drive, so not visible here - have to click on the link) https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPigBWKYUFA6Ne8W6zhjl3DhmeI19sdS6Nctzq-
When I first checked on it this AM, those bubbles in the center were one large white bubble that popped when I inserted my sanitized baster to draw the sample. That freaked me out - but I typically used white plastic buckets and I never looked at the beer in the bottling bucket, so I don't know if this is something I would have seen had I looked. Tested 2X in 3 days & fermentation seems complete, steady at 1.090. Temperature of beer is 72.5ยบ, which seems to be a couple degrees warmer than the room, generally - sampling around with a digital laser thermometer. (For the curious, this is in the basement where it is largely dark save for laundry, etc.)
The taste test: is fairly bitter but tastes like beer. It's been a half-hour and the bitterness from a few sips still lingers. Can't detect any off odors. This doesn't look as awful as the infection pix I see online. So I can't tell if this is an infection issue or just a solid bitterness. So: bottle, or pitch? Thoughts?

PS: Being the first time I ever actually watched fermentation during the process, everything has looked normal to this point. Seven days initial fermentation, 9 days of dry hops (mesh bag), 9 more days maturation. Star San sanitation throughout.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:49:47 am by Virwill »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Infected fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 08:26:54 am »
Sorry, the pic doesn't work for me.  I say taste it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 08:39:59 am »
Please see last paragraph.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 09:40:36 am »
Please see last paragraph.

Got it.  Sounds fine to me.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 04:20:19 pm »
Thanks, sir.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 12:34:08 pm »
The URL for the photo didn't work- perhaps it was truncated. In any case, I have a couple of guesses based on experiences I have had.
1) You may have a "pancake", which is a thin layer of gooey and sticky krausen that holds itself together because it is anchored to the sides of the fermenter. This happens with some yeasts. You can punch a hole in it when you take a sample, but it fills in again later. If you agitate the vessel so the pancake breaks up and separates from the sides it will sink. If you do a cold crash it will all sink regardless of agitation.
2) The bitter taste you are getting may be from yeast still in suspension. I get this a lot from tasting gravity samples of "green" beer. Once you give the yeast time to drop out (and cold crashing helps a lot) this harshness may go away. If you don't have any really nasty off-flavors then it will probably be just fine in the end.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 06:06:27 pm »
Thanks, Richard. I usually go overboard on sanitation. Your "pancake" explanation seems to make sense; I did punch a hole in it when I took a gravity sample, and it has filled back in. No fancy yeast, tho - just good ol' Safale US-05 dry ale yeast, rehydrated. I've also learned that a few weeks of bottle conditioning works wonders. I think I'm going to bottle. Fwiw, here's another try at the photo link: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPigBWKYUFA6Ne8W6zhjl3DhmeI19sdS6Nctzq-
and, using the Insert Image icon above:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:11:39 pm by Virwill »

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 10:39:53 pm »
Photo link still didn't work.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 07:59:22 am »
Call me semi-tech challenged - never tried to export a pic from Google Photos. I think this works: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GwfhdwxavbDUwBG36

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 08:44:41 am »
Call me semi-tech challenged - never tried to export a pic from Google Photos. I think this works: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GwfhdwxavbDUwBG36

Yep, that one works.  Looks fine.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 12:11:45 pm »
Looks pretty normal, but the only way to know for sure is to rack it and taste it!  Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 06:09:55 pm »
Done!

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 01:14:51 pm »
Thanks all for the input. Tasted early, after 9 days in the bottle. Promising but still a little green. My limited experience has been that a few weeks in the bottle does magical things, so I'm cautiously hopeful on this one.