Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: North Country Malt to stop selling to homebrewers  (Read 26159 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: North Country Malt to stop selling to homebrewers
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 10:16:57 pm »
Is feed grain the same grade or an inferior grade? 

Massively inferior

And I already have a joke in there about feed barley! :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 09:15:59 am »
I didn't even realize Munton's made a Maris Otter. I thought it was a trademarked name.

Maris Otter is a barley variety.  Many maltsters malt Maris Otter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 09:17:33 am »
From what I've read, I was under the impression that maltsters use the highest grade of grains for malting.
Is feed grain the same grade or an inferior grade?  If an inferior grade, would we want to spend time malting inferior grains?

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend the time malting _any_ barley!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 11:38:01 am »

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend the time malting _any_ barley!

I thought maybe you'd need something to fill all that free time you have now. ;)
Anyway - it'd just suck to go from 27 per 55lbs sack to darn near $2 per lb.

I think I'll be OK some other guys in the area have run group buys and we should be able to continue that.
This could be a good thing for homebrew clubs though, undoubtedly they've already run group buys and will be able to continue. So memberships should be on the rise.

* Would this be the appropriate time to start a "prison hooch" thread.  :P 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:07:14 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 12:11:54 pm »
...Many maltsters malt Maris Otter.

Nice tongue twister!

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 01:19:58 pm »

Nice tongue twister!

No kidding, try saying that three times fast
Joe

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 01:32:38 pm »
Maryland homebrew still sells north country stuff by the sack.  After their markup, both MFB pils and Best Malz pils are about $52 for a 55 pound sack.  They special ordered some Great Western for me, it was perhaps  40 something. Not too bad if you're within driving distance.

Does that include 2-row and Marris Otter?  When I look at their website, it says their 2-row is Briess and their Marris Otter is Munton's.  Do they not list the North Country stuff on their website?
Joe

narvin

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 03:13:51 pm »
Maryland homebrew still sells north country stuff by the sack.  After their markup, both MFB pils and Best Malz pils are about $52 for a 55 pound sack.  They special ordered some Great Western for me, it was perhaps  40 something. Not too bad if you're within driving distance.

Does that include 2-row and Marris Otter?  When I look at their website, it says their 2-row is Briess and their Marris Otter is Munton's.  Do they not list the North Country stuff on their website?

They don't seem to list any sacks of grain on the website, but they sell them.  I know they don't stock every brand, though.

Contact Chris (http://www.mdhb.com/contact_us.php) and ask.  In the past, my understanding was that they order pallets from North Country all the time, and they would special order any malt that they carry.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:35:34 pm by narvin »

Offline Dbbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2010, 11:30:25 pm »
My club makes a huge order 1 or 2 times a year so hopefully we can still get our grain from NCM.....We save a ton of money buying through them.

Offline niquejim

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 06:14:21 pm »
It's about time everyone else has to pay prices I have to pay
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2010, 07:10:33 pm »
My concern would be that once they get full swing into the distribution business, no one is going to be getting these prices again. If I understand the situation correctly, anyway. Would they be selling direct to anyone in any quantity once they have distribution?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 09:38:48 am »

Nice tongue twister!

Thankee!  I was kinda proud of that one!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 09:39:23 am »
It's about time everyone else has to pay prices I have to pay

;D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 10:57:02 am »
I just called NCM and verified that I am still able to purchase malt directly from them because I made a  purchase from them this year.  New homebrewers are able to purchase from their newly acquired sister company. 

If you have purchased from NCM within the past year you will still be able to purchase from them.  You must make a purchase every year to stay active in their system.  At least this is my perception of how it will work.  Sorry if I am repeating any info but I thought it would be of value to repeat this info.

I'm not exactly sure of the sister company policy, but I assume the pricing will be the same???
Ron Price

Offline grainpaw

• Retailers
  • 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 01:51:11 pm »
So far everyone has been complaining about their own pocketbooks, with no concern for the bigger picture. If you make more than I do running an LHBS and with a part-time job, about $9,000 a year, I don't want to hear any more of your whining. And don't cry to Country Malts the next time you break your hydrometer, and the the new one costs more, if you can find a LHBS still in operation. There is substantial overhead and a paperwork nightmare involved in operating a legal business from an actual storefront, aside from actually dealing with customers, some of who need extensive explanations and hand-holding. Granted, there are some operations handling supplies as a sideline, which have no idea of fair prices or ability to explain things, but most retailers are dedicated and knowledgeable.
    In fact, Brewcraft has been purchased by Great Western Malting Co., owner of the Country  Malt companies and a subsidiary of Graincorp Ltd. It is not a good sign that I, a Brewcraft customer, had to find out about the deal on this forum a month after it happened. I hope they will come to realize the damage they have been doing to the retail network. By offering grain at wholesale to anyone, they are undermining the base of retailers who helped build this hobby and keep it going in many ways.