Author Topic: Determining Current CO2 Prior to Priming  (Read 108 times)

Offline John Mac

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Determining Current CO2 Prior to Priming
« on: June 10, 2019, 06:55:45 PM »
I was reading in "Brew Like A Monk" that it's best to determine the existing level of dissolved CO2 before figuring out how much priming sugar to add before bottling. Anyone know how to do this? Is there a function on Beersmith that will compute it for you? (If my Beersmith was a VCR it would still be flashing 12:00 at me) Thanks in advance!

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Determining Current CO2 Prior to Priming
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »
Beersmith like other software asks you for a temperature and then Beersmith figures out how much carbon dioxide is dissolved in the beer assuming that things are in equilibrium.  Assuming you use a bottling bucket and don't cold crash, the best temperature to use would be the current beer temperature.  Being a few degrees off doesn't make much of a difference.

Offline John Mac

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 08:03:40 PM »
Thanks very much for the quick reply! I didn't realize that Dr Smith was already doing the math.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 09:01:34 PM »
You want to use the highest temp the beer reached.  That's because as the temp increases, dissolved CO2 comes put of solution.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell