Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'm in the Boulder CO area till 9/3, what breweries do I need to visit???  (Read 3156 times)

Offline kerryrichard

• 1st Kit
I rented a place in Rollinsville for a month of hiking / biking / drinking beer!!! I've been to Avery in Boulder and New Belgium in Fort Collins. I need suggestions for other breweries I need to try while I'm in the area. I'm a bonafide hop head, but also enjoy a good wheat and white. Open to suggestions and am willing to travel for good beer!!!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Southern Sun on Table Mesa and Broadway (and/or Mountain Sun on Pearl, a couple blocks east of the Mall), Draft House on 13th or 14th, just off the Pearl Street Mall (used to be Redfish - only been there once since they changed, but was very impressed with the beers I tried), Wynkoop in Denver. That's what first comes to mind. I've been away for 3 years and my memory is shot. Oh, and Avery. Yeah, you've been there. Go back. Ooh! Oskar Blues in Lyons. That should keep you busy for a day or two. I suppose there's always BJ's on Pearl if you get bored. Yummy stout and decent others. Walnut on Walnut could be worth a trip.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Isn't O'dells out around there as well? 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
+1 Mountain Sun

When I visited Boulder a couple years ago, I asked the AHA staff for recommendations and that was on the top of the list.  I called them up and asked them to read me the list of what they had on tap.  I stopped them after they hit the third IPA (!).  "That'll do"

Good food, good music, my wife bought one of the nice looking t-shirts (purple tie-dyed) and wears it to beer events.  Basically everything I wanted in a local brewpub.  I'd go back.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
I was at Mountain Sun a few years back during their stout festival - great stuff.  I agree on all of the above, and I'm going to throw in Redstone Meadery.  I wasn't in Boulder long enough to get there, but it should be great.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Yeah, Mountain Sun is a must.  I had their Colorado Kind ale (hoppy American amber) on nitro when I was there in 2007 and it rocked.  They've got plenty of great ales on tap.  But I think my favorite thing about Mountain Sun was being able to smell the mash in the morning (we were staying in a B&B about a block away).  I walked behind their building and, sure enough, they were mashing.  There were industrial garbage cans full of spent grain too. 
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Boulder Brewing has great hoppy beers. Hazed and Infuzed, Cold Hop, Aniversary Ale, Mojo...
Great Divide in Downtown Denver.
Odells in Ft. Collins is just down the road from New Belgium.
Left hand in Longmont, just up the diagonal highway from Boulder.
Drydock in Aurora about an hour from Boulder is an award wining brewery. Try their 7 C's beer.

Can't decide? Go to the Falling Rock Tap house. More beers on tap and in bottle than anyone I know.

These are my favorites around here.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
A couple that haven't been mentioned: Upslope and Asher.  I've been wanting to try those out.  Just haven't got up to Boulder (at least for beer) in a few weeks.

Offline mnblues

• 1st Kit
A little south of Boulder, but if you are in Colorado Springs there is Trinity Brewing. It is located just outside of Garden of The Gods Nat'l Park as well, so it is a great way to spend the afternoon after a morning hike.

Offline kerryrichard

• 1st Kit
Thanks for the feedback!! So far I've been to Avery a few times, twisted pine and the draft house. All have been pretty good. Mountain Sun is next on the list along with Upslope. I also went down to Golden and tried out Golden City Brewery and they were pretty good! Can't wait to drink more good beer!!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:02:13 pm by kerryrichard »

Offline kerryrichard

• 1st Kit
At the southern sun right now enjoying a FYIPA!! Had a Colorado Kind Ale to start and it was delicious. I'll finish up with an illusion dweller IPA and call it a night. I'm really digging this brewery!!!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
At the southern sun right now enjoying a FYIPA!! Had a Colorado Kind Ale to start and it was delicious. I'll finish up with an illusion dweller IPA and call it a night. I'm really digging this brewery!!!

Cool, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I used to live 2 blocks away from there. Not a bad local, huh? I usually went for their nitros. Colorado Kind on nitro is lovely. XXX, if they have it, is even better.