Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite part of being a homebrewer?  (Read 5740 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Re: What's your favorite part of being a homebrewer?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 02:38:00 pm »
I won't lie. I'm just in it for the beer.

That's pretty much my feeling too and is what got me started so many years ago.

That, and the fact that  like many things home made it's generally better than anything available commercially,  once you get the hang of it  (at least as far as my go-to "styles" are concerned).  

I have to say though...I do enjoy the process.  It really has become my "treehouse", and I really look forward to my brew-days.  I'm not at all into fancy gadgets because you just don't need them to make great beer and besides,  I like the "hands on" feeling of doing it very simply.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 02:50:14 pm »
i got into homebrewing to drink more good beer...at a good price but...to go a bit deeper...

my favorite part is the first gravity sample....but it kind of captures a lot of things...

i wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, i only just started all grain last year, but i've been able (lucky?) to make pretty consistent beers...having an ok idea of knowing what ingredients i use will result in what...but still to this day, when i brew and pitch my yeast, there's that sense of it's not going to come out right or something will go wrong because murphy has his hand in everything, just like i had the first time i brewed. you wait a couple of weeks and take that first gravity sample...you hit your gravity...and then...the sip...and then 'YES!'...knowing it came out like you wanted it to, knowing people will enjoy it, reinforcing that you're actually doing something right in your brewing process...that to me is my favorite part, because it captures all of the enjoyable aspects of brewing, the personal liking of good beer, sharing with others, and the technical stuff.
Take it easy...

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 03:01:36 pm »
Wow, I am humbled that something I wrote has made someone pause and ponder!

For me, beer is all about exploration and discovery… drinking beer is only part of the enjoyment.

I love the gadgets, tons of beer styles, digging into all the geeky technical details, and constantly being critical of my process/methods and figuring out what to tweak next to improve my brew or my brew day.

I love serving my beer to people and having them be surprised that not only does it not suck, it is often better then any beer they have had before.   

Most of all, I enjoy exchanging knowledge and having friendly debates about what I and others have learned along their explorations of beer.  I brew the beer I do today because a lot of people shared their thoughts and experiences with me, and if I can help someone else enjoy this hobby as much as I do… Cool.

Oh, and having rock-star status among the neighborhood, does has its privileges! 
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline wfaris

• Cellarman
    • Lincoln Lagers
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 03:10:04 pm »
I'm a cook and a science geek.  I love the creativity with foodstuffs and building gadgets.  I didn't really get into the hobby for the sake of making cheap beer.  I can buy beer cheaper than it costs to make.  However,  I can make really good beer cheaper than the commercial beer I really want to drink. 

The biggest part, however, are all the great folks I have met over the years because of this hobby.  By and large, the homebrew community are wonderful folks.  I go to beer festivals like GABF and run into folks I have "met" online but have never seen in person and it is like we have been best friends forever. 

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Nebraska Brews Since 2002

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 03:43:01 pm »
Good, Cheap, Fast.

I chose the first two for this project.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 05:53:40 pm »
When I had the high stress job, brewing was my creative hands on outlet that I could take from the concept, design, production (including upgrades to the physical plant), packaging, and introduction to the consumer (the wife friends, and me).

Now that I have more time and less stress, I have to say it is all of the really great people that I have met over the years through the club and the AHA, and become good friends with over the years.  I have been to 5 NHCs, and next year will be 6, as I can't imagine missing one of those.  Mainly to see people I know, and talk to new people. 

Man I love this hobby!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Dan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 06:12:18 pm »
I actually started after relocating across the country because it seemed like an interesting fact that I could use to break the ice with my new coworkers.

Now it's just about seeing what other gadgets I can buy. :)

Offline myrtlebeachbums

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 07:41:48 pm »
To me it's pulling that tap on a fresh keg and finding out that what I made turned out well. It's so rewarding to drink something REALLY good and think "Hey - I made this!"

I get about the same charge when I hit my target OG. Last weekend I made a Bavarian Weizen and I was shooting for an OG of 1.053. I hit 1.054. Great feeling!

As for "Rock Star Status", it is great to share what you've made with others. The guys at work are always asking for another growler.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 12:21:13 pm »
I'll add to my prior post by saying "Personal Gratification".  We had a family & friends gathering last weekend.  Some were new to homebrew & were pretty skeptical.  After they saw the "regulars" fill their cups (yes plastic cups) a few times they thought what the heck. That keg of Vienna Lager & the remaining half keg of Schwarzbier disappeared long before the day was over.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 12:38:15 pm »
To me it's pulling that tap on a fresh keg and finding out that what I made turned out well.

Inevitably for me, if I pull a pint and think,"Wow! That is fantastic!" The next pint will be the one
that blows the keg... ;D

I'm in it for the bragging rights. I love telling people I brew...;) I love sharing with my friends. The camaraderie,
the beer, the spending a ton to make my own gadget when just buying the new would suffice, the process...

All of it!

Except for the cleaning... Cant stand it...I predominantly brew fall-spring and winter cleaning sucks when it is -10*F.
There is not enough hot toddies sometimes.. :P

Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 05:39:44 am »
Drinking it is pretty damn enjoyable, but mostly because recipe formulation is what I enjoy most and when a recipe works out, that is my favorite part.  The process is nice, but sometimes gets a bit daunting to me.
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 11:08:39 am »
I'm going to echo most of the above posters. Except the cleaning part. In it for the beer. Not in it to replicate something one can buy at the store. I make my own beer the way I wants it.  :-*

And brewing is exciting and challenging and one never stops learning. It's a pastime to be passionate about. Plus I've been blessed to meet great folks who've passed on their knowledge to me and in turn I get to pass on my experiences to others.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 04:10:17 pm »
I won't lie. I'm just in it for the beer.

Me too.  I also enjoy recipe formulation and the satisfaction when someone else enjoys the product as much as I do.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 04:19:34 pm »
Tinkering with the toys.

Though it's impossible to separate any one thing about the hobby as my favorite . . Like everyone else, I love it all. . except the clean-up. I loathe that part.

Dumping and cleaning the mash tun is the WORST thing about home brewing! :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:37:44 pm by dhacker »
Just brew it...

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 04:26:01 pm »
Dumping and cleaning the mash tun is the WORST thing about home brewing! 

Word.  If people ask to come brew with me so they can learn something, they always get that job as part of the price.  If they just come over to drink, they get to help me lift it.  On a positive side, the best thing about doing a double batch and splitting it with someone is that cleanup takes half the time.

I'm pretty sure that's the "new guy" job at a brewery, like dishwasher at a restaurant.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong