Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite part of being a homebrewer?  (Read 5739 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: What's your favorite part of being a homebrewer?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 06:26:58 pm »
Hand Crafted Beer...The homebrewers and folks that I associate with in this regard...and just great fun.

What more can I ask for.

Winning in the finals at NHC certainly put some wind in my sail...uhhh I mean mash tun.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 08:02:52 am »
  When I first decided I wanted to brew, I did it beacuse it wasdifferent, and would make me stand out. I have always been the type that does the odd things. Had a pet iguna, etc....

After the novelty of being a brewer wore off, pretty much after my first or second AG, I got into the actual brewing. It's so relaxing. The smell of the mash, the roar of the burner, the first gravity sample. I love it all. Building my kegerator, and fermenttion cooler, wort chiller, mash tun. No days, I find that I just love making beer, and don't do it to just to say I brew. In fact. I really don't even tell people. Fact is, when I meet someone new, I normally don't have a chance to tell them even if I wanted to, because Holly, or one of my buddies that knows me has already let the cat out of the bag.
  And one of the greatest things about brwewing is the people I've met, and friends i've made. I would have never in my life guessed that brewing would open the door to such a great bunch of guys.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:29 am »
It started off as a way to drink different beer styles that were hard to find or were only available at import prices.

It has evolved to where brewday is what I enjoy the most.  Even the most hectic, stressfull brewday where everything goes FUBAR is still a peacfull, relaxing day to me.  The DIY aspect of the hobby really appeals to me too - tinkering and building new brew equipment is fun for me too - none of my equipment is pretty, but its all functional.

Having friends tell me how good my beer is an looking forward to my next batch feels pretty good too.  Oh, and I still enjoy drinking the odd pint or three.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2010, 07:11:27 pm »
wingnut made a comment here that got me thinking.  
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3341.msg37896#msg37896

He said "In my opinion, drinking the beer is only half the fun!"

I think that's too high for me, I'm thinking more like 25%.  Another 25% is the gadgets and equipment, 25% for actually making the beer, and 50% for sharing the beer with others while talking about beer and beer making.

What is that, 125%?  Oh yeah, -25% for cleaning everything.  There 100%.  :)

Anyone else?

+1  I totally agree with this.  Plus, creating recipes is actually as enjoyable as making the beer.